1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Doctor casts new light on cat that can predict death

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Feb 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

mscriv

Full Story

Fascinating. I have no idea how you don't get paranoid when this cat comes around.

2. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Luckily, our cat has no such ability as she sleeps on our bed frequently. While I understand the doctor's interest is in the terminally ill, its a shame he doesn't pursue the issue of the cat's ability at least a little.

3. macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

House

There was a House episode just like this!

In House, he figures out that the cat is attracted to the warmth.

The cat was sleeping on dying people who either a) had a fever or b) had a electric blanket for comfort.

4. macrumors G3

dmr727

See, this is why I don't have a cat. The damned thing would give me the heebie jeebies every time it looks at me funny. :p

5. macrumors 6502a

We're all dying. I have a cat on me right now.

6. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Anyone remember the name of the cat in The Smurfs? That's right Azrael...as in the Angel of Death Azrael.

Damn cats-borgs are stealing our lives to add to their own. Eight lives ain't good enough for them. NOoooOOoOo. They gotta have nine.:rolleyes: Resistance is futile.

7. macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, for god's sake. :rolleyes: Cats aren't evil or "grim reapers". I really get sick of people's irrational hatred of animals. You guys have the problem, not the cats.

8. macrumors G3

dmr727

Dammit Lee, you know better than to take anything I say seriously. :)

9. macrumors 68020

Raid

Lighten up Francis. :p Obviously Mousse's real name is Mouse, and just hiding from the cats.

This particular cat's story is quite impressive, if only that ability could be understood and used to benefit the sick. Mind you I would ask to change the cat's name to 'Schrödinger'; out side of the box it's the cat who tells you if you'll live or die. :D

10. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

and see how he takes to Stephen Hawking? ;)

11. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Oi! Someone's wife been talking to my wife.:p Every time there's an argument, I hear: "Are you a man or a mouse? Squeak up!...blah blah blah.":D

12. macrumors G5

leekohler

I think so too. The cat is obviously just reacting to some sort of stimuli. It's not going around killing people.

No, I don't. One thing I've learned is that everyone can surprise you. But thanks for the clarification.

13. macrumors 68040

mscriv

This is a picture of the actual cat from the story.
    [​IMG]

He sure is a cute bugger for being the harbinger of death. :D

14. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not unlike my cat but (just like my cat) he looks a little overweight.

15. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting story.

Hey cat, scat. Get out of my room. Ha ha!

16. macrumors 68020

leomac08

awe....what a cute kitty...........I'll SHOOT IT! if it gets close to me:D

17. macrumors 6502a

Maybe the patients' passings do have something to do with the cat being around, rather than the reversed alternative.

I know from experience that a cat's affection brings on a certain comfort and happiness. Perhaps people are more willing to slip away when they're comfortable, happy and have a warm, purring furball on their bed. ;)

Just spitballing, of course. :D

18. macrumors G5

Consultant

Maybe the cat has some allegiant that people die from?

Or maybe one of these?

Attached Files:

19. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'd say it's something in the water here, but my cat avoids me. :(

20. macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

hahaha I'll do the same!

21. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Awesome LOLCAT :)

22. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Looks like he is on the lookout for his next victim ROFL :)

Seriously though; our pets know more than we know at times. My "boy" Chewey (lab-chow mix) knew when his comfort was neeed... not surprising for this cat to take to those that are dying since he has been around it for so long.

23. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

He's accurately predicted 50 deaths. I'd be interested in the total number of deaths at the nursing home since he arrived. And has he curled up next to someone who didn't die that night? Are the patient's doors always open so he has ample opportunity? Do they ever find cat hairs on the deceased's mouth and nose? (Kidding about the last one.)

I'm not doubting his ability but would like to know the details.

24. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Aw I love cats. This story makes me miss my Dylan (Dylan is my all black cat).