Doctor finds spiders in ear of boy with earache

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, May 14, 2007.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

ALBANY, Oregon (AP) -- These guys were not exactly Snap, Crackle and Pop.

What began as a faint popping in a 9-year-old boy's ear -- "like Rice Krispies" -- ended up as an earache, and the doctor's diagnosis was that a pair of spiders made a home in the ear.

"They were walking on my eardrums," Jesse Courtney said.(Watch how an earache led to the creepy discovery )

One of the spiders was still alive after the doctor flushed the fourth-grader's left ear canal. His mother, Diane Courtney, said her son insisted he kept hearing a faint popping in his ear -- "like Rice Krispies."

Dr. David Irvine said it looked like the boy had something in his ear when he examined him.

When he irrigated the ear, the first spider came out, dead. The other spider took a second dousing before it emerged, still alive. Both were about the size of a pencil eraser.

Jesse was given the spiders -- now both dead -- as a souvenir. He has taken them to school and his mother has taken them to work.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/05/07/spiderboy.ap/index.html

2. macrumors 603

janey

i *&^$ing hate spiders.

This isn't gonna help me sleep tonight at all :D

3. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

At least the spider web in your ear will stop bugs.:p

4. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Wow, this was on my local news station about 3 weeks ago.

I guess even in the internet age, news doesn't travel very fast.:)

5. macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Urgh. I can't stand spiders. I think i'd completely freak if I found out 2 were living in my ear. Although it would help with the ear wax, heh.

6. macrumors 603

janey

it's 4am. i'm still not sleeping.

nightmares of spiders :D

7. macrumors G3

Counterfit

A moth flew into my cousin's ear once. I always enjoy making him tell that story. :D

8. macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Well at least the spiders didn't lay eggs in there. I think I've read a story about something like that once.

9. macrumors 68000

cue for House MD. :D

I remember there's one episode where a cockroach was in the ear.

10. macrumors 6502a

If you see enough kids in health care, you see all kinds of stuff pulled from ears (and noses). Little army men, pits of cherries and other fruits, and yes, insects.

11. macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

The Stuff of which Urban legends are made.. :eek:

12. macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I can understand. You know kids.
    This I can't. WTF??

13. macrumors 68030

joepunk

Reminds me of the film "Mountains of the Moon"
    One of the explorers gets creepy crawlies(sp?) in his ear and he does a stupid thing of pouring candle wax down his ear.

14. macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Ugh, the thought of that happening and the details provided makes me very uncomfortable. I wish I didn't have such a fear of insects, especially ones that could possible burrow inside my ear canal.

15. macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Was the roach in the ear thing on House too? I seem to remember seeing that on an episode of ER a long time ago... Carter smashed it with his foot after taking out :eek: . If I remember correctly.

16. macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

That is sooo friggin horrible! Argh! I'm gunna wear earplugs to bed.

Definitely a House MD episode.

17. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Horrible as this is ....... at least the ear drum stopped it from venturing further in :eek:

Just think what damage some sort of munching beetle could do if it cut a hole in the ear drum and decided to investigate what is beyond :eek: :eek:

OMG I just given myself the feckin shivers.

FJ

18. macrumors 6502

When I was a kid my older brother told me a story about earwigs (a small insect which had pinchers that may be called something else in your area). He said they were called earwigs because a long time ago they crawled into a mans ear and ate his brain.

Then one summer day while sitting in the backyard in a lawn chair possibly over a nest of them, a bunch of earwigs crawled on me while I was sleeping. I woke up and started running as they were pinching me. I ran into the house screaming. My brother never laughed so hard.

The funny thing is is when I was young I tortured bugs like spiders. I pulled their legs off with tweasers, froze them, burnt them, and put one in a jar full of large ants. But that story got to me and I always stayed away from earwigs. Its like they were miniature scorpions. I still can't stand them to this day.:eek:

19. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

I'm loving the adds being generated on this page. :D

20. macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Actually, I'm remembering an old episode of Night Gallery, one where a guy get's a bug placed in his ear. It burrows into his brain, causing agonizing pain, and eventually, madness.

Eventually, the bug crawls out the other ear, and the guy survives. But,, (and I love this bit) The bug was female. It laid eggs. Thousands of them. The closing shot, the look of sheer terror and horror on this guy's face.. What an episode!

21. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Enjoy. :p

[​IMG]

22. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yuuuuukkkkkkk :eek:

FJ

23. macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Nice! :eek:

That episode of Night Gallery I mentioned is called The Caterpillar

I'm sure Thomas Veil remembers this one. :D Right Tom?

24. macrumors 6502a

true777

When I was about 11 the boys in my school used to catch flies and release them very close to girls' ears so that girls would hear this super loud buzz when the fly would fly away right next to the girl's ear.

One day a boy did that on me, and instead of flying away, the fly flew INTO MY EAR. It was buzzing around inside my ear for about an hour.

It was HORRIBLE. It felt like my whole brain was vibrating, and the sound was incredibly loud. I was terrified. The teacher sent me to the school doctor who made me jump up and down for a while with my head tilted, and after a few minutes of this the fly luckily came flying out of my ear.

It was a horrifying experience that I won't recommend to anyone. I can still feel the awful vibration in my brain when I think of it.

25. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:p I'll have to remember that one. I would have just done an irrigation, but that sounds a lot more creative.