Doctor Q in Nashville

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've got a business trip to Nashville coming up next month. If I have time to spare, what might I do with that time? Museums? Parks? Shows? Famous sites? Shopping?

Any good tech/science/geek stuff besides the Apple Store Green Hills?

Any particular food I ought to try?

2. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I'll be interested in people's recommendations as well, I'll be visiting family in Nashville in about a month, and I've never been there before :)

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Tee hee. That's probably my first question when I'm traveling. :eek:

Aren't they known for bbq? (I know other cities and states are as well, but isn't bbq up there, too?)

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Country Music Hall of Fame is the only sight of note I recall seeing in Nashville. The most impressive part was the architecture.

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for that tip.

So that settles it: I'll be going to iRachel's family's house for a home-cooked meal. :p

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Cowboy boots and hat.......yeeeeee hawwwww!

Bless

7. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I'd love to meet you, Dr. Q! :D

Unfortunately, my dad (the person I'll be visiting) actually lives 2 hours outside of Nashville, so that would probably be impractical. :) I'll be visiting Nashville since that's where the airport is, and I'll probably spend a day or two seeing the city. My dad and stepmother recently moved, and I haven't seen their new place (or Nashville) yet, so I'm looking forward to the trip.

8. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Eat at Loveless Cafe. Fried chicken, biscuits with preserves, and sweet tea. mmmm.

www.lovelesscafe.com

BBQ is more of a Memphis thing.

9. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

My dad did a songwriter thing there the other day. It sucked b/c he was horrible @ taking questions, but the music was good. :)
    The Ray Charles exhibit is supposed to be amazing!

And I live in Nashville!! If you had a spare moment, we could maybe meet up at the Green Hills Apple Store or something! I live near there, and I frequent the store. :)

That's awesome you're coming here... I don't think anyone from MR lives here or anything, so it's cool to have someone who will be in town. :eek:

Oh, and my parents would probably have to come. Considering that I'm 13 and they probably don't want me meeting strange men I've never met at the Apple Store. :eek: :p

Oh, sweet, you too! I'd love to meet some people from MR at the Apple Store or something. :) Just PM me if you'd be interested! I should be in town if it's in a month....

EDIT: I'll be out of town until the 7th and from about the 14th-16th. :eek: But other than then I should be here, and my parents are okay w/ me meeting you people. :)

But their biscuits aren't as good since they've remodeled. :(

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They have good grits down there. Make sure to get ham with it. :)

11. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Maybe I'm a city n00b, but I really don't know of any great food here. :eek:
    The only good places I frequent involve burgers, burritos, and Jamaician food. :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Oooh, go to Cracker Barrell, too. You'll be amazed at how cheaply you can eat outside California.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It's been a looooooooooong time. So I know of no specifics. Sorry. :p

14. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

BBQ??!?!? NO!!! I have lived in Nashville since 2000 and been in the hospitality business. Many hotel guests ask about BBQ places and there are not many that I am aware of...at least Local. here's a link to some BBQ listings here in Music City: http://www.musiccityusa.com/dining/dining.aspx?menu=Visitors. I mean, it appears that ppl have this misconception that Nashville is known for BBQ! Ummmmm..... no. Guests also ask for LOCAL bbq restaurants.... ummmm... no. Now, there is Jack's BBQ downtown on Broadway, but that is more of a pick-up and go place. Not really a comfortable place to go eat at, you know?

Suggestion: although I have never taken the time to do it... try calling the Nashville CVB and see what they say: 800-657-6910.

Definately checkout Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center. I worked there for 5 years. It's not a fun place to work, but a fun place to visit. They have 10 acres of tropical gardens inside the hotel in three seperate atriums (temperature controlled). Also, they have an hourly watershow called Aqua in the Delta atrium, along with a flatboat ride inside the hotel. I highly recommend it for anyone...seriously. Parking is insane there, so my suggestion is to park at the far end corner of the Opry Mills Mall parking lot (same complex as the resort) and walk over to the hotel - It'll save you $12 in parking :) check em out: www.gaylordopryland.com

Country Music Hall of Fame is interesting to go to - maybe tour the Hermitage Mansion if you are interested in Hisotry. Downtown they also have a replica of the Parthenon.

I will warn you, although Nashville is fun, the construction is pretty bad. I-65, I-40, I-24 are ALL under construction around downtown and in the suburb parts. Allow yourself some traffic time and a little slower travel time b/c of this. Nashville is definately growing and I'm excited about it. That's why the construction doesn't bother me, because it means development and growth. It does become frustrating for a visitor though.

Have fun while you're here!

OP: What part of Nashville will you be staying at?

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

And take some lessons in 'sopping' your biscuits in whatever gravy is leftover on the plate! :D

16. ttg macrumors newbie

Oops, I've lived in Nashville for 20 years and didn't know there was an Apple store in Green Hills.

Nashville is not known for its BBQ, Memphis is. And it's glorious! I don't think there is any "speciality food" that Nashville is known for. Whitts Barbecue is mediocre and I've never tried BarbeCutie. The Loveless Cafe is a nice little country restaurant, kinda like eating at Grandma's house on Sunday.

For nightlife, hit Second Ave and or Tootsies on Broadway. Catch the Grand Ole Opry or ride the General Jackson paddlewheel boat on the Cumberland River.

We have an impressive replica of the Parthenon, with an art museum and 40 ft. statue of Athena inside, in Centennial Park downtown. The Frist Center for the Visual Arts is showing Egyptian treasures and has a Pulitzer Prize winning photograpy exhibit. The Ray Charles exhibit must have just left, even though I think the billboards are still up.

You can tour the Hermitage, the home of Pres. Andrew Jackson, or take a cheesy bus tour of the country stars homes.

My advice for a person in town for the weekend is to hang out downtown. Plenty of places to eat, drink and do the tourist thing if you want to shop for boots, t-shirts or hats. (p.s. Wearing a cowboy hat is the same as wearing a neon sign saying "Tourist.")

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Hey look, there's a Japanese restaurant! :) But I'm sure that's even less of a city specialty than BBQ.

The Gaylord Opryland Resort sounds great, and a bit like a fancy resort I remember visiting in Palms Springs, CA (I don't remember the name). Thanks for that idea, and the parking tip too!

I should probably go see/hear/learn something about country music while I'm in Nashville. My country music collection consists of the 13 iTunes that Apple has given away in their weekly freebies, plus "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton. I have a slight suspicion that there is more to country music than those 14 songs.

I can't imagine that Nashville traffic is anything like the gridlock in Los Angeles, but I'll be wary.

Yes, sir!! And what an interesting choice of font/size/color you used to post!

I'll be near the airport. I hope I can use public transportation (busses? unicycles?) to go elsewhere.

The Hermitage sounds quite interesting. But perhaps I'll find some other, less cheesy, tour to take.

Then I'll wear a neon cowboy hat so nobody will mistake me for a local.

Whadyaknow - I found a vBulletin forum about Nashville! Here's a good thread topic. ;)

18. rcw3 macrumors newbie

Nashville

I live & work in Nashville as well. You may have already visited Nashville by now... but if you haven't...

1) If you wear any form of cowboy hat or boots (neon or not), you *will* be labeled a tourist.

2) If you want the real deal, bypass Loveless and go to Sylvan Park Cafe -- hole in the wall, but absolutely the best meat and three ever. Another standby would be Monell's in Germantown. Loveless has amazing biscuits and jam but they've gone downhill since it changed ownership awhile back.

3) As far places to visit -- this site has a pretty decent top 10: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/lf_travel/text/0,1904,FOOD_16384_28745,00.html

19. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for the tips, rcw3. I'm going in August.

Since I will be a tourist, does that mean I should wear my cowboy hat? :)

20. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

21. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have survived my trip to Nashville, and to a second city that I didn't know I was going to!

Your tips came in handy. In addition to taking care of the business I went there for, I managed to get to the Country Music Hall of Fame, see a show at the Grand Ole Opry, eat at the Loveless Cafe, say hello to Andrew Jackson at the Hermitage, find the Green Hills Apple Store, and meet lots of new people.

I will post some photos from my trip so you won't think I was doing something boring, like going to WWDC, and using the Nashville trip as a cover to pretend I had a real life.

I'm not sure whether to be ashamed of myself or proud of myself, because I had to choose between seeing yet another Apple Store and seeing the replica of the Parthenon just a bit further down the freeway, and I chose the Apple Store!

22. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Not sure why, but I found this really amusing - only in America. :)

Welcome back Dr Q.

23. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha.

But don't laugh at the Parthenon. It's actually quite cool.

I should have mentioned that. Goshdangit. So you had a fairly good time?

24. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, I had a knee-slappin' foot-stompin' good time.

I tried to take some interesting photos along the way. For starters, I jumped off the plane and ran alongside as it taxied on the runway, so I could get a good shot. I was unable to wave out the window and then get outside fast enough to beat the light waves, however, so you can't see me in the window.

It took a little more skill to race ahead of the plane and get a shot of it coming at me head-on during takeoff, and then jump back on just as it lifted off so I didn't miss my flight, but I manged to do that too.

Perhaps I've twisted this story just a bit ;) but I really did take these shots while my plane was on the runway.

Meanwhile, the 3rd photo (the Bell South building) is the coolest building I saw downtown. And I recognize the three stars in a circle from the Tennessee state flag. Pretty good for a Northerner, eh?

Attached Files:

25. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

More photos

1. I carefully defaced the sign outside the Country Music Hall of Fame by replacing the O with a Q. It looks much better, don't you think?

2. I noticed that the Country Music Hall of Fame building has windows that look like a piano keyboard, which I assume is on purpose. They also have shapes that look like notes on a musical staff on the outside of the building that houses the Hall of Fame plaques. Very clever.

3. I've head of gold records and platinum records, but it looked like more than two colors to me. Are some of these silver records instead of platinum? Being color blind, I can't really tell, and I don't know what they put on the wall when your album goes double gold or triple platinum. Anyone care to explain?

4. This was the coolest museum display: the electric piano that Ray Charles used to record the song "Baby What'd I Say." The signs said that everyone told him he was crazy to use such a silly instrument and its unusual sound, but that after that record became a hit everyone wanted one of these. It really looks like a toy, but he knew what he was doing! "Tell your mama, tell your papa, I'm gonna sing you back to Arkansas..."

They also had an issue of Playboy Magazine in Braille, which Ray Charles read. He's the rare person who you might actually believe if he said he bought it for the articles, not the photos!

I'm sure that with medical care they could have treated the glaucoma that blinded him as a boy. I wonder if his musical talent would have been less pronounced if he had remained sighted.

5. Who can forget Johnny Cash's famous song, "A boy named Q" ?

Attached Files: