Doctor Q's Japan Photos

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by Doctor Q, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here are photos and stories from my trip to Japan in October and November 2005. I decided to put them here in the Picture Gallery forum rather than post them in my older trip planning thread so people interesting in photos don't have to wade through the other thread.

Here's our plane to Japan. I took this photo on the ground because it would have been a tiny bit harder to take the shot after we were airborne. ;) The Japan Airlines 747 was packed and the seats in economy had no leg room (luckily it was only an 11 hour 20 minute flite -- ouch!), but at least the service and meals were excellent.

[​IMG]

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh, one pic at a time?!?!?!

hmmm, some might say you're spamming for an avatar :p

Nice plane, but lets see some of Japan!

D

3. thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Actually, I'm not fond of spammers, but I had trouble uploading more than one image per post last night. It said "please wait" and never came back when I tried to attach a second image. Quitting Safari and starting over didn't help. After half a dozen tries, I gave up trying to attach multiple images to a post. I'll try again on another Mac and see if that helps.

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Welcome Back Doc.

Looking forward to The Nipponese World According to Dr. & Mrs. Q's Digital Camera... or TNWADMQDC.

Pronounced "TunWadMockDeeCee".

5. thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The handy instructions on the western-style toilet in the hotel room, for any travelers not used to such toilets.

Traditional Japanese-style "squat" toilets are common in train stations and many other older public places, but western-style toilets are quite common in homes these days and they can also be found in department stores and other modern buildings, so I'm surprised that a hotel used most frequently by salarymen needs these instructions. (Sorry about the picture quality - a low-light close-up by a jeglagged photographer.)

Attached Files:

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wonder what tactful (graceful?) Japanese euphemisms are used for "urinate here" and "defecate here"? Ah the idle speculation of the sleepless...

7. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Where the hell's the hot school girls I requested?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :confused:

8. thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

#1. A peace memorial in Ueno Park, near the Toshogu Shrine. Ueno is an area of Tokyo, on the northeast side of the Yamanote "loop line" train. The necklaces are tiny paper cranes made by school children, strung together and grouped 1000 at a time, so there are more than 10,000 cranes in this photo!

#2. The first of many signs we saw that would not be phrased the same way in an English-speaking country. The use of English on signs, store names, and T-shirts is considered classy, the same way a restaurant or store in the U.S. might use a French name to sound impressive, whether it is deserved or not.

The word "Engrish" is often used to describe poor English translations or poor English construction by non-native English speakers in Japan. As expected, we saw signs that confused L and R, and heard people mix the sounds too when speaking English. The Japanese R is pronounced as an alveolar lateral flap, with no sound equivalent to the English L in Japanese. But you don't care about the geeky details, do you? You just want to see photos!

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 65816

So essentially this sign is telling you that you are supposed to sit on the toilet instead of squatting over it?

I'd rather them have signs at the squat toilet telling me not to sit on it. :D

10. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mm, when I went to Japan, I just fell in love w/ the heated seat toilets. So nice when it's freezing out. :eek: (I was staying w/ my aunt and her fambly, so it was not a public toilet.)

11. macrumors 68030

iPhil

Dr. Q,

I like the short captions along with photos,it makes easier to understand what pic is ..

Some of Japanese pics are 'funny' because they all that space to explain a 'simple' job ..

so far the pics of your trip is making me wanna do a trip like that.. even its a long flight from SAN or LAX.. why i would over there is the electronics.. ;)

iphil

12. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Heated toilet seat, eh? Glad my wife doesn't read these forums, otherwise I can tell you what I'd be doing this weekend!

13. macrumors G3

Doc Q, nice pics! Hope you had a blast over there!!

Heated?

I NEED ONE!

/I think I'm in love!
    //With a toilet seat?
    ///:eek:
    ////best. prom. date. EVER!

14. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Not only was it heated.. it also boasted a... well, um, a 'cleaning' option for the person using/on the toilet. :eek: Never tried that button though. :D

Doctor Q, did you by chance take any pictures of food? I like to see food. Mmm... hungry. :eek: Well, that and I recall a childhood friend of mine who's mother (Japanese by the way) would carefully prepare all their food to the point that it was difficult to consume because it was so beautiful! For example, we were only in the second grade-- her mom would cut apple slices into adorable little bunny shapes complete w/ ears and eyes!

15. macrumors 68040

XIII

Doctor Q, if you need some hosting for photos, PM me. :)

16. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Damnit!! The HomeDespot carries those high-tech ass-warming bidet toilet seats.. $500!! :eek:

17. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Oh, that's an easy one to do. Rub some Icy Hot on the seat before each use :D

Doctor Q - thanks for the pics and the stories!

18. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmmm I need the "Hot Hot". "Icy" is bad, if you're me, and if you're my wife. Espcially if you're her feet and any exposed part of my body! Icy, baaadd! Fire good!

19. thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

#1. Suffering symptoms of computer withdrawal, I headed for anything with buttons or screens. Pushing fire alarm buttons wasn't satisfying enough, and I couldn't log in on the pay phone I tried, so I was thrilled to find this interactive map of Ueno Park.

You can use the touchscreen to indicate what you are interested in (zoo, museums, shrines, shops) and it will highlight them on the map. Then you can zoom and pan by touching the screen.

#2. Some public art we encountered.

Here is a puzzle for you: How did I take this photo without getting myself in the reflection?

Attached Files:

20. Moderator emeritus

sushi

For some reason, I really don't think that you would need this type of sign! :D

Sushi

21. thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for the photo-hosting offers. I know I could use a website for a gallery of photos, but I prefer telling stories with attached photos in a conversational way, and learning what you are interested in as we go.

So toilets are a hot topic, eh?

The heated toilet seats are widespread and very popular in Japan. Some of our hotels had them. At first it's a little weird because we're used to a warm toilet seat meaning somebody has just been using it, but I suppose on a winter night it can avoid "cold shock".

They also have water sprays (the bidet feature). Originally, when these fancy toilets were first made, they weren't as smart, and if you pressed the wrong button to experiment while looking at the fixture it might spray you in the face, but now sensors prevent the cleaning sprays from working unless there is weight on the seat. It's not hard to press the wrong button, since they after often labeled only in Japanese. In my research before our trip, I made sure I knew which symbol meant STOP!

I heard that some toilets sense your approach and raise the lid automatically, but I didn't meet one of those ones in person.

I was surprised one day when I put my foot on the lid while drying off my leg after a shower, only to have the toilet wake up and spray its fragrance in the bowl. No harm done, but I was momentarily surprised. I'm not sure I want my bathroom fixtures to have so much artificial intelligence... unless I can program them myself!

Some of the toilets spray a pleasant fragrance in the bowl when you arrive, and some public restrooms (especially for women) have a box on the wall with a button that you press to make background noise (or a flushing noise) to avoid anybody hearing any other sounds you make.

No, none of the toilets had Internet access.

22. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Reminds me of something I saw in Chicago Millennium Park recently. It's warped American cousin.

[​IMG]

I'm going with... Vampire. That's it, isn't it? You can tell me, I'll keep your secret identity safe.

23. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Not sure what you're talking about there. I zoomed in on the photo and flipped it, and I'll tell you - I can see why you liked the sculpture...

Attached Files:

24. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Very astute of you.. especially if you accidently hit the button for "acid wash", or "hair trimmer".

Well, except for the webcams. :rolleyes: :cool:

25. macrumors Core

iBlue

aliens took it? :D

no? hmmmm

you used a timer and ran for it?

ummmm... photoshop?

:p