Doctor Who on Sci Fi (U.S. broadcast)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ebow, Sep 29, 2006.

1. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I thought it might be useful and appropriate to finally start a thread for U.S. Doctor Who watchers, particularly so that we don't have to risk encountering "spoilers" and dig around for current episode topics in the 40-some pages of the "Official" thread.

The second season of the new Doctor Who series starts tonight at 9 p.m. ET! I'm looking forward to it, but my wife (who I got hooked last season) is apprehensive. She was rather upset about the loss of Chris Eccleston and thought that the David Tennant looked "kinda creepy" (or some words like that) in the glimpse we got of him at the end of the previous season.

Anyway, I'm not a mega-fan or anything (though I did watch the older shows pretty much daily on PBS in the late 80s as a kid), so I don't have lots of trivia and this-that to post at the moment. Just figured it would be nice to have a place to discuss the show as it airs in the United States.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I may watch tonight, probably until the first commercial or pop up ad.

My wife was similar, she didn't like seeing CE go but she's warmed to DT. There's a couple of duffers in this season, but on the whole it's very good.

3. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

"pop up ad" on TV? Oh, do you mean when Sci Fi puts an ad for one of their shows across the bottom of the screen, with exciting (read: irritating) noises and animations? At least, I think Sci Fi does that. I know a few of cable channels do.

Have you been watching this ("upcoming") season via BitTorrent?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yup, it's very annoying.

I moved from the UK to the US a couple of months back, so I saw the first couple of eps on the BBC, rest through BT. The Season 2 DVD is out in R1 on Jan 16th, which is great.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Are they doing "The Christmas Invasion?" I presume so, since it was the regeneration story.

Fair warning, "Xmas Invasion" SUCKS. "New Earth" (S2x01) is much better.

I quite like DT.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Funny that. In my post above I was going to mention TCI is good but New Earth is awful (one of the rotten eggs I was referring to).

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Haha! :)

I found TCI stupid, even by Dr. Who standards. I'd go into more detail but I believe the intent of this thread is to be spolier-free.

Old-school Who fan here. Have everything from Pertwee on up on VHS.

It's nice to see Who doing so well in the UK; it'll never get that level here in the US, espeically since SciFi isn't giving it a lead-in show. Plus, as silly as this sounds, the new Who is just "too British" for US audiences, IMO. That's not a slam...just different markets.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Can only watch what I have access to! :D

10. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

Hey! Slow down everyone... :p :)

Indeed. There's already thread for discussing episodes that have already aired elsewhere. All those eps that you're talking about are in the future for me, and since there's no such thing as time travel... ;)

11. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

Wrong time

Oops! Looks like the season premier is at 8 p.m. instead of 9, when another episode will be on. Glad I just happened to check the guide...

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks for the reminder, its funny just tonight I was thinking about Who while cooking. Hadnt thought about it in a long time.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

14. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

I liked 'em, for the most part. The resolution to New Earth seemed a bit weak, though. The "disoriented doctor" parts from The Christmas Invasion brought back some impressions of previous regenerations that I barely recall from the original series. What was up with TCI taking 1.5 hours to show? I think SciFi just loaded extra commercials in between the segments. Quite annoying.

I missed last week's episode because I was on vacation, and it looks like they only shows reruns a few hours after the first airing. Grrr. :mad:

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do you guys get the adverts on Doctor Who over there? Been wondering that for a while now.

16. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

Not sure what you mean... Adverts for the show, or during the show? Yes to both, I guess. The SciFi channel advertises the show throughout the week, and then they pack the hour in which it shows full of more ads than I thought possible. I suppose the actual length of show material may be shorter for Doctor Who than for U.S.-produced shows.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sci-Fi is where I started my Doctor Who quest....its been nice so far and they had a two day marathon the other day...real nice.

Jimmi do you mean breaks inbetween the show? yes we do get em.

Bless

18. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

:( So sad what happend to rose... Oh sorry.. ermm I hope you guys have fun watching it :p I cant wait for christmas day... A 24" iMac(my first mac) a new episode of doctor who! and loads of money :p

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Each episode is 45 minutes in length in the unsullied, advert free version that we get to enjoy over here. The Christmas Invasion ran for an hour though if I remember rightly, what with it being a Christmas special and all that.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah I see. Thats a shame too! I become more engrossed in BBC shows over ITV or Channel 4 because of their lack of during-show adverts. you unlucky folk :(

21. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

Hey! ... enough of that, now. I don't even go to the offical Doctor Who site or the Wikipedia page because I don't want to know. Sigh.

22. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ah sorry xD I wont say anymore.. *Ties hands to chair*

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Slightly off topic...but....

Some of you may have noticed that Outpost Gallifrey (the MacRumors of the Doctor Who world:D ) has closed it's news page:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/index.php

The guy who ran it didn't have the effort and I guess didn't want to share. I'm thinking of putting together a simple Who News blog (probably with Wordsmith) and am looking for some people to help out. You don't have to be a massive Who fan or have a lot of web knowledge. Anyone interested please PM me.

Any and all hosting costs will be cover by myself.

Thanks!

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A commercial for Who in the U.S. showed that the old Rose from the original series is going to be on tonights show as a special guest. I wonder if she will recognize him;)

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

This is the 'second' series you're watching over there at the moment, yeah? Rose is in this series each and every week... :confused: