Doctors Perform Operation on Ailing Pope

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 24, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Doctors Perform Operation on Ailing Pope
    John Paul II, Suffering Flu Relapse, Needed Procedure to Help Him Breathe

VATICAN CITY (Feb. 24) - Pope John Paul had a successful operation on Thursday to help him breathe more easily following a recurrence of acute respiratory problems, the Vatican said in a statement.

"The operation ... ended successfully. The immediate post-operative progress is regular," the statement said.

It said surgeons at Rome's Gemelli hospital had performed a tracheotomy on the Pontiff, cutting a small opening into his neck and windpipe to allow air to flow directly into the lungs.

The operation lasted 30 minutes, starting at 8:20 p.m. and ending at 8:50 p.m.

The Pope, who gave his consent for the operation, will spend the night in his hospital room, the statement added, implying he did not need to be treated in an intensive care ward.

The 84-year-old Pope was rushed to hospital earlier on Thursday for the second time this month after suffering renewed breathing problems and a relapse of the flu.

Medical experts said a tracheotomy was a simple operation but added that it would only be performed in a crisis. They warned that the Pope, who also suffers from Parkinson's disease, would now have even greater difficulty speaking.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i wish hima speedy recovery hopefully no complications like infections. while im not catholic i respect the pope

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I work for Passy-Muir, we make tracheostomy speaking valves, so hopefully that will help the Pope regain some of his ability to speak at least!

www.passy-muir.com <--- my company's web site (I designed the site, but did NOT pick the color schemes. :p )

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The present Pope in combination with Ronald Reagan, was a 1 - 2 punch that knocked out Communist Europe.

He was the right man for the right job at the right time. Religous or not, he needs to be recognized for his outstanding contribution to the world.

as a protestant, I think very highly of him.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Though even as a Catholic I strongly disagree with many of the Pope's stances, the man has done some amazing things with his life, and I hope that he can recover and hold on to as much of his health as possible for at least a little longer.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the big question now is should the Pope step down or try to fight off his illness to the very end.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think a bigger question is, What if he doesn't step down and is then incapacitated (e.g., in a coma) but not dead? Do they have a procedure in place to replace him at that time, or does the Catholic Church go on without anyone at the helm until such time as he does die and a new Pope is elected?

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree with you, i hope he is doing better but i think its past time for him to retire. How do they go about electing a new pope?

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Typically, the old Pope dies... then the College of Cardinals get together and, for however long it takes, argue/discuss who should be the new Pope. Each day, they send smoke up a chimney... black smoke means "we're still working on it" and white smoke means "we've chosen a new Pope".

I've never heard of a Pope "abdicating" or stepping down before, and certainly there's no one who can force him to step down while he's still alive (except God, of course). Usually they die "in office".

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I know at least one pope has stepped down, maybe two. The one I know of was during the Great Schism a few hundred years ago when there was more than one pope. There were three "popes," the rightfully-elected one, the one elected by the French cardinals, and a third who was sort of rightfully elected as a way of ending the situation. The rightfully-elected pope eventually stood down to allow for the election of a new pope that everyone could agree on.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

there have been popes that have abdicated, but only 2 or 3 I think I heard. Only he can abdicate, if he goes into a coma, then I guess someone will take over admin wise, but not replaced till he dies or volunteers it. (Could be wrong but saw something about this on a documentary recently).

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Prophecie of St Malchy

a prophecy of all the popes till the end of time, only supposed to be 2 more left! :eek:

13. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

St Malarkey more likely :p

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers are with the Pope John Paul II, may he be comfortable. His ultimate fate is in the hand of God.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Got anything for laryngectomees?

16. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    is that the procedure most people get if they have cancer of the throat

17. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

i love the pope-mobile. *shrug* im not catholic, but he's an all right guy i guess. kind anyway. pope-on-a-rope.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks wasnt sure how they did it.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Err.. I wouldn't say most, and to be specific, it's for folks with cancer of the larynx. If treatment (or multiple treatments) don't do the job, the final straw is removal of the larynx.

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Doesn't really matter, I guess, but did this thread start out in the Politics forum or was it moved here preemptively? Seems like the discussion so far has been polite. ;)

Edit: Ditto for this thread about the widow of one of the soliders pictured in that famous photo of the Iwo Jima flag raising.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

muhwahahahaha...welcome to the dregs.

Seriously, I believe it is an informal policy of the mods to put all threads concerning war or religion into the PF, as a kind of pre-emptory quarantine. Doesn't always seem to matter if the posts warrant it.

meh.

22. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Nope, sorry. What our valves do is retore a closed-respiratory system that forces exhailed air up through the vocal chords instead of out through the trach, so it's dependent on the patient having functioning vocal chords to allow them to speak.