document refuses to open from finder?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by rebecka, May 9, 2004.

1. rebecka macrumors newbie

When I'm trying to open a document in finder it wont open. I have to open it through the application.

Any idea :confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The fix for this is simple - tell Finder what application to use for opening the file. To do this, get info for the file in question. Look under "Open with:"; if it says "None" or "Not applicable", choose "Other..." from the pull-down menu. A dialog box will appear asking you to choose the application to open this file. Navigate to the application and select it. If the dialog won't let you select the app you want, change the "Enable:" pull-down to "All Applications" first; you should then be able to select the desired app. If you want Finder to always use the selected application to open this document (which you probably want), click the "Always open with" checkbox. Click the Add button when done. The "Open with:" part of the Get Info dialog should have changed to reflect the application you selected. You can now close the Get Info window since it's not needed anymore. To test your new settings, double-click on the document. If it opens in the application you selected without error messages, it worked! (Note: these instructions were created using Mac OS X 10.3.3. If you have a different version, the exact steps may differ.)

3. rebecka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer

I do the double clicking and I do the open with and the application will start or if it's already opened it will become the active one but the document won't show up.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've had this problem before - if my solution doesn't get it to open, either the application's buggy (it's SUPPOSED to be able to open this kind of document, but it won't and no error message appears) or the document's corrupted (the application tries to read it, fails, and gives up with no error message). Does the document open in another application capable of reading that file type? Can another user of the same application open the document? If either one or both of these tests succeeds, document corruption can be ruled out. If the first test succeeded but the second failed, the cause is a bug in the application. If the first test failed, but the second test succeeded, the most likely cause is a misconfiguration on your computer (somehow the app is getting confused when it tries to open what should be a valid document). Check the app's preferences to see if a cause can be found there. If both tests fail, your document is probably corrupted.