Document Scanner Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steven1621, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

This summer I am working on an archiving project that will require me to scan a plethora of documents. I have the funding to get a scanner to do this task. I'd like something with a document feeder and duplexer and preferably can scan directly into a PDF. Does anyone have an expirence with such a product? This is all new to me, so I'd like to see if there is a clear popular choice for this type of scanner.

Thanks!

2. xov macrumors newbie

3. erickg macrumors 6502

My aunt has one and scans directly into pdf at an extremely high rate (although she chooses not to use OCR, so that speeds things up a lot). I'm pretty sure she uses a Fujitsu as well, but she uses Windows XP and I've heard the drivers are more optimized for Windows than OS X.

edit: I think Adobe Acrobat 7.0 wasn't out when I last looked at these types of scanners, so driver issues may be sorted out by now as well.

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

5. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

The ScanSnap S500 is looking like the way to go. 18 ppm with duplexer. The older model has a OS X compatible version, but it isn't much trouble for me to get a PC from my school for scanning purposes.