dodgy scroll ball in mighty mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wolfriver, Apr 19, 2006.

1. wolfriver macrumors newbie

G'day,
    Does anyone know an easy way to pull apart the mighty mouse to repair the scroll ball? It won't scroll down (won't make the scratchy sound as if the sensor inside is clogged up or something).
    Has anyone had this problem? It still scrolls upward.

2. wolfriver thread starter macrumors newbie

or?

Is there something to spray or wipe onto the ball to keep the build-up of oils from my hands off it?
    Thanks.

3. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

5. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I really think this thread should be sticked (link) because I see tons of these threads with the same problem.

6. wolfriver thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for the superfast replies. My ball just decided to start working again. It must have picked up my visuals of dissection and freaked out. When did Jobsy decide to ad thought reading capabilities to Macs?

7. Missalicious macrumors newbie

Yeah don't disassemble it. Maybe it was my own bad luck, but after that first step, the "forgiving and pliable pegs" are perhaps TOO pliable and did nothing but smash up when I tried to put them back in the holes. I highly doubt this thing is meant to be taken apart.

Oh and a side note, no matter how many times I tried cleaning the scroll ball with the damp cloth like apple tells you to, the down scroll is still rough.
    :eek: :confused: :( :mad:

8. joejbaby macrumors newbie

scrubbing worked

I followed the instruction to turn it over and use a damp no-lint cloth to rub the ball clean - works well so far - thanks.