Doe anyone know where I can compare UK and US keyboards on the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Balli, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

I was looking to buy a US machine when I go on holiday to Miami, but was just interested in seeing the difference in keyboard layouts for the MacBook Pros.

2. funwithstuff macrumors newbie

The US keyboard has words instead of the ISO symbols for the modifier keys (except the command key) and for tab, delete, return, shift, enter etc. It's also got a rectangular return key, the backslash is above it to the right, and the tilde/grave is to the left of the 1, which makes more sense for Photoshop shortcuts. It's missing a key you'll never use (§). I'm Australian but I worked in the UK for a while; the UK keyboards always bugged me, but you get used to whatever you grow up with.

Here's a pic. Can't find one of the UK layout right now.

http://developer.apple.com/document...okG4/3_Input-Output/chapter_4_section_12.html

3. codo macrumors 6502

It looks exactly the same on my MacBook (not pro) apart from 3 has the Pound (£) symbol in place of the hash (# - Hold Alt + 3 on UK keyboard).

I have to say, one of my HUGE gripes with this thing is the fact that the @ key resides on the 2 and the " key resides where the @ key should be - It's just wrong! If Apple stuck the Pound symbol on, why couldn’t they put the @ key in the UK place... I always push one meaning the other, its just etched so deep into my brain.

That and the annoying god-awful idol CPU sound.

4. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys so much.

Btw, I didn't know your 'Enter' button was so small...

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It took me sooooo long to get used to that but now I get frustrated with the UK layout.

6. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Living between the UK and US, I was often asked which cultural differences were most notable.

The "@" is most notable.