Does 10.4.3 update reinstall language files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dogbone, Nov 9, 2005.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

If I have removed language files with DeLocaliser in 10.4.2 will the 4.3 update reinstall these. IOW will I have to run DeLoc again?

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

More than likely, yes it'll install those language files associated with that program in the Update. You can reinstall it and see. DeLocaliser from Bombich (Bombich right?) doesn't take that long to run does it?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't have thought the 10.4.3 update was big enough to reinstall your language files. Aren't there multiple GBs of the things? :eek:

4. Bear macrumors G3

There is just about a GB of them.

When I Installed Tiger, I deselected the language file and most of the printer drivers and saved close to 2 GB of disk space.

It's better not to install them in the first place, much cleaner. When I get a new system, what I do is make sure it works, then I reinstall leaving out the stuff I won't use. (This includes not installing classic.)

Besides saving diskspace, not installing the language files drastically cuts down on the number of files on the system disk and by extension noticeably cuts down on the time it takes to repair permissions.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Plain text compresses well. Language files are pretty much plain text. In theory there might be enough space in the 10.4.3 update, but only if there wasn't much actual code.

6. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

No - not on my update - still have just 2 languages showing in System Prefs after the update.