Does 15"TiBook have an antenna?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by toughboy, Jun 3, 2003.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    they say that the wireless capabilities of 15"PB is not very strong, and that is because of there is no antenna under that titanium cover, is it true or not??
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i think it's because of the material Titanium that is used, and also i think that the antenna in the screen part was new to the Aluminium models.

to answer your question, yes that is true, but i'm not 100% sure on that. you should be able to check out, and do a quick Google and find an answer to your satisfaction.
  3. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

Apr 5, 2003
    St. Louis/Jupiter
    From Apple's Developer Note, PowerBook G4, dated November, 2002, Page 41:

"Two Airport antennas are built into the computer's cover, on either side of the flat panel display."

This was a surprise to me as to the location, however, I have had quite good reception with my machine and notice the complaints on the forums have subsided. When Steve Jobs said that the new Al PowerBooks had their antennas on the cover, where they always should have been, it may have been a reference to an earlier series of Ti PowerBooks where the antennnas were located on the lower body and could be massaged through the battery compartment.
  4. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

Jan 3, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    There are antennae in the PB but just where depends on which you have...

the 15" TiBook has two of them. One on either side of the CASE of the PB. They look like little screens on either side of the case close to the front.

The 12 & 17 have 2 antennae on either side of the Monitor similar to that of the iBook.

The Ti's Reception does suck for 2 reasons...

1. The antennas in the base do a poor job because you block them by sitting near your Mac !
    2. The Titanium of the case is NOT a good reflector of the signal.

They claim the AlBooks (12 & 17) to be a marked improvement but still not as good as the iBook.

I speak from experience and the poor AirPort reception is one of the major reasons I got an iBook instead.

In my APARTMENT, I could not go from the front room to the back room (thru 2 walls) without losing 50% of my signal. My boyfriend's iBook, however kept it's 100% singal in that room as well as thru the entire back yard and across the street where it dropped to 75%.

I bought a signal booster... which gave me 100% thru the apartment but still I lost 75% to 100% outside the back door. The booster allowed the iBook to go past the end of the block with 100% signal.

I did find 2 solutions to the problem. I forget who (i'll check when I get home) but someone made a free generic driver to allow a PC Card Wireless NIC (ala linksys) to work in your Mac, the external antenna made it SOOO MUCH MORE usable. I even got 75% outside the apt.

Also someone makes a external antenna you can attach to your airport card. You can then insert the airport card into your PC Card slot and bingo.

Good rule of thumb has been this

Assuming your standard PC Card Wireless Card is 100% signal strength,
    the TiBook is 35% less, the iBook is 35% more.

Hope that helps.