Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glitch30

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
DVD Quality

:eek: K another possibly dumb question. When I am ripping dvd's to the computer to burn. After I burn them the quality isnt the same as the dvd was, its more like...vcr quality..?
Any Idea's why? I selected film from the presets but chanked the .mkv encoding back to mp4 cause my dvd wont play .mkv

Dynex7879

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Questions

First question, what are you all using to rip your DVD's? As I know nothing that is on the Mac side that is free and I find it funny that you are paying for something for the use of stealing stuff! I digress!

Second if you have to encode at so much higher of a bit rate it would almost make sense to just burn a Movie at a DVD 5 rip onto a DVD. I personally rip all my movies (or I did, I have had problems which is why I found myself here and now am curious) at 576.1 using Nero Recode on two pass at 640 X 480. The quality of the movies is fine and the file size is really reduced to less than a gig on almost all movies. And if it works right I can not tell the difference in quality from the DVD or the ripped file. The reason I was here and looking for information on 2 pass is Nero seems to be dropping out to many frames on two pass and making the film look choppy in certain parts. Although I will admit I have tried other encoders (such as my personal favorite ISquint but I can't find a suitable combiner that works correctly on all files when I combine it. Yamb has went to crap)

Other encoders have been doing the same thing and making the files look choppy. I wonder if there is a new encryption that is causing this. Any thoughts?

Since it sounds like I am not a Mac fanatic I expect to get some expletives, get over it I have a Mac and just want a decent video. I have found a solution that works 100 percent but it takes 4 hours and that is completely unacceptable.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
First question, what are you all using to rip your DVD's? As I know nothing that is on the Mac side that is free and I find it funny that you are paying for something for the use of stealing stuff! I digress!

Second if you have to encode at so much higher of a bit rate it would almost make sense to just burn a Movie at a DVD 5 rip onto a DVD. I personally rip all my movies (or I did, I have had problems which is why I found myself here and now am curious) at 576.1 using Nero Recode on two pass at 640 X 480. The quality of the movies is fine and the file size is really reduced to less than a gig on almost all movies. And if it works right I can not tell the difference in quality from the DVD or the ripped file. The reason I was here and looking for information on 2 pass is Nero seems to be dropping out to many frames on two pass and making the film look choppy in certain parts. Although I will admit I have tried other encoders (such as my personal favorite ISquint but I can't find a suitable combiner that works correctly on all files when I combine it. Yamb has went to crap)

Other encoders have been doing the same thing and making the files look choppy. I wonder if there is a new encryption that is causing this. Any thoughts?

Since it sounds like I am not a Mac fanatic I expect to get some expletives, get over it I have a Mac and just want a decent video. I have found a solution that works 100 percent but it takes 4 hours and that is completely unacceptable.
Handbrake takes DVDs as input, no secondary ripping software needed. And ripping DVDs you own is not stealing, it's format shifting, like transferring CDs to iTunes.

Secondly, if you're getting choppy video, you need to increase your bitrate. You're losing information to make the smooth transition between frames which is why your frames jump.

If the size of the file is important to you, try "target filesize" option in Handbrake and always get your 1 GB files if you really need that size. I would say buy a new HD instead, they're cheap nowadays.

If you want a Windows solution Handbrake is also made for Windows in addition to Mac OS so no problems there.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
2-Pass encoding really takes up so much more time in converting in HandBrake. It takes so much time - so I wanted to know; does 2-pass encoding really make much of a difference in the quality of the movie? Thanks.

Just a tip if you are worried about the time it takes: Use Mac The Ripper to rip a few DVDs; it is much quicker because it does no encoding. Then start Handbrake and set up a queue to convert everything. Don't worry if it takes ages; your Macintosh will be absolutely useable while it is doing the encoding. And of course you can leave it overnight.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I realize that this is a really old thread, but I'm trying to 'backup' Alien Resurrection from the 9-disc set, and Resurrection produces 2 files from Handbrake that are 43 and 54 minute chunks of the movies. I can't seem to get the whole movies. I've ripped a couple of times, and I get the same shortened clips. All the other discs ripped perfectly. It seems that disc is blocking the process somehow? The conversion takes a long time, and the tracks are well over an hour after the disc is scanned for tracks, but I end up disappointed. Freaking weird... I've never had this happen before.

Thanks, and apologies for resurrecting this mossy thread, but...

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I realize that this is a really old thread, but I'm trying to 'backup' Alien Resurrection from the 9-disc set, and Resurrection produces 2 files from Handbrake that are 43 and 54 minute chunks of the movies. I can't seem to get the whole movies. I've ripped a couple of times, and I get the same shortened clips. All the other discs ripped perfectly. It seems that disc is blocking the process somehow? The conversion takes a long time, and the tracks are well over an hour after the disc is scanned for tracks, but I end up disappointed. Freaking weird... I've never had this happen before.

Thanks, and apologies for resurrecting this mossy thread, but...
Not sure if this would help but you could use makemkv to create a single mkv file with the main movie.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've used it to rip DVDs to MKV format with no problems.

Good for you. I'm wondering if there is a flaw in the DVD. If every one of them ripped fine, and this one doesn't, I figured I ask if it was a know issue, and barring that, if there were any other options. MKV shows me with 7 tracks, non of them over 40-ish minutes. I'm, thinking the DVD is foobar.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
For years I used MTR (Mac the Ripper) (grandfather of, and most powerful of the DVD ripper apps). It has a lot of options, such as DVD probe, to get around things like deliberate bad tracks. Takes a bit of learning if you want to go beyond a simple rip.

Most of MKVs I have ripped with MakeMkv are 4K blu-rays and blu-rays, just a few DVDs. When a disk fails I try a few things:

1. If the track rip fails I try an backup rip of the whole disk.

2. If the backup rip fails i repeat (1) on a different manufacturers drive

3. If (2) fails I play the disk on my TVs' disk player.

So far in all cases where 1 and 2 have failed 3 fails as well. If 3 drives fail to read the disk I would say it is just a bad disk. Just happened with Knives Out. Failed 1 & 2. Plays in disk player up to about 1 hour then hangs for while, then skips a bit and resumes playing. Just a bad disk.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
2-Pass encoding really takes up so much more time in converting in HandBrake. It takes so much time - so I wanted to know; does 2-pass encoding really make much of a difference in the quality of the movie? Thanks.

More is better, and i guess they wouldn't have addded 2-pass just for the sake of it being added..

I never do it myself as i can't wait that long... and probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway with my eyesight.

But it probably depends largely on where it's gonna be watched weather its worth it... (50' TV vs computer with small screen to mobile

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.