1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Does a PowerMac 6800 exist?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zarathustra, Oct 25, 2002.

1. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

A friend of mine swears that she has a PowerMac 6800 but I cannot find any information about this machine anywhere, except snippets here and there on Apple's website.

Can anyone give me detailed information about this beast?

2. macrumors 68000

Falleron

3. macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't think one exists. It would most likely be a performa with those numbers and I don't think any performas exist past 6300. You can check out every Apple built here at.

http://www.everymac.com/

4. macrumors newbie

6400 was the last

I'm typing this on a power mac 6500. The performas went up to 6400, the 6500 lost the performa tag. The entire product name was way off as they were utilizing a 603ev, which are not as fast as equivalant 603's

5. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: 6400 was the last

The e stood for energy efficient or extended instruction. The v stood for variable. Which means it was a cpu with the stepper built in where it could cut back on power useage by dropping the clock frequency in times of low load.

6. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Thanks for all that replied. The mistery continues however, because I saw a polaroid of it... It has special AV ports, but other than that I don't know what to think. I will see if I can visit my friend to see it in person.

7. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Are you sure it's not the 8600? There was an A/V version of that.

8. macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have one of those!

9. macrumors 604

MacBandit

All of the 7500-9500 and 7600-9600 Macs had A/V ports on them.

8600 is a good deduction though. A small reversal of numbers.

Once again I recommend to check everymac.com they have photos of them all also.

10. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

It's definitely not an 8600 - it does not have the smaller block on the side. It has rounded edges volume control and IR port on the front. Unless she is yanking my chain, I am very intrigued.

11. macrumors 604

MacBandit

You are definitely describing a later Performa. Check everymac.com and go through the performas until you find a matching photo.

12. macrumors 65816

Nipsy

This is incorrect. The 73/75/7600 series often had them, but not always. It was an option.

The 85/8600 had them at all times.

The 95/9600 series did not have them at all, as they were 'pro' machines, and a 'pro' would buy a beeter PCI card for this functionality.

13. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Thanks for clearing that up. My knowledge of this mainly came from an Apple rep who visited my college campus in 1996. At that time he told me all those had AVI outputs. Guess I'm lucky I purchased a 8500 then because otherwise I could have been screwed on what to me was a major purchasing point.

14. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

You have no way of getting us a copy of the polaroid?

15. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Could they have mistaken a PowerMac for a WorkGroup Server???

Was it a tower or desktop machine?

16. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I have already found a machine missing there. The LC 630 came EITHER as a solo machine or as a DOS Compitible machine and they only document the latter.

17. macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm sure that's just because the only difference is the PC card. Why have both?

Also if you ever find a mistake or a missing item just email them they are happy for the help.

18. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

They have the multiple versions of every other machine. They have a pretty DAMN find collection there. They should also document the Apple cameras if they are going to have a non-MacOS section.

I could not find an email address for them

19. macrumors 604

MacBandit

I believe you could just email one of the names listed at the very bottom of the home page.

If that doesn't do it become a member it's free.

20. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

OK, mistery over. The picture was too low of a quality to show the model number. She remembered the model number incorrectly. After she sent me an Apple system profiler screengrab it's clear now it is a 6500/250 with a built in sub-woofer and AV in-out ports. Aww, shucks. Thanks to all though.