does a woman have to be a man to be a manager?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 28, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    while the glass ceiling has not be pierced yet, the time is coming where any job will be open to women on a regular basis with equal odds of getting the job...including president

when i read john gray's books, the mars and venus series, i realize that men and women are different on some level even though they may possess the same skills and intellect

do you have any experience with female mangers?...and do they retain their femine side or do they try to conform into a man in what was traditionally a male role?

share your experiences
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Since I'm a nurse, my career has been working with a majority of women. There is no glass ceiling in nursing. While I was in the Air Force a female nurse was promoted to the rank of Brigader General. For the most part I would say that they showed their feminine side. Nursing is a caring profession, need to show empathy for the patient. All women have there rough edges!
  3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    No, I have a Women Manager of Staff for my doctors office, she doesn't lose her feminism... she is very friendly to everyone but when someone does something wrong...

4. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    in italy and other southern europe and latin america: YES, a woman HAS to be a man to be anything else than an underpaid secretary. period.

i've read some of those "women are from venus, men from mars" things and they were painful. i understood how the male thinks, and it was really painful for me to read how the female thinks. i still don't understand how they do think. thatswhy most of my friends are male.
  5. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
  6. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    w/ one exception (a really kickass male boss), my best bosses have been women (6 i can think of off the top of my head).

i found my particular female managers to be more reasonable and more apt to listen than many of my male managers. they were, by and large, also more appreciative of my efforts.
  7. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
    Although historically dominated by males, research science has undergone a massive gender shift over the past twenty years (possibly due to the extensive affermative action campaigns targeting science and engeneering).

I've worked with both male and female supervisors, and found individual personalities much more variable than any gender-typical characteristics. However, I think having lots of women in science is good as it helps facillitate a culture of collaboration rather than one of competetiveness.

The lab I'm currently working in has 15 women out of 19 people in it, but the PI is male.

Most labs in our department are populated by significantly more females than males, and this is also reflected in course enrolements.

8. judith macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2003
    Mt. Baker - Washington State USA
    1980 UN Report:
    "Women constitute half the world's population, perform nearly two-thirds of it's work hours, receive one-tenth of the world's income and own less then one-hundredth of the world's property." - Rage Against The Machine

I'd like to see how the current numbers have changed.
    I prefer male management. In my experience it's been easier to truly communicate with males, they don't want to scratch my eyes out when a rare good hair day comes along, etc. But then I've worked for some extreme princess-b**ch types, and I don't generally get along with princesses very well. In defense of real women, I did have an x-marine badass manager once, and she was the greatest! Maybe it doesn't boil down to the gender so much as the matter-of-fact, no BS personality that I favor?
  9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I have found managerial styles to vary widely. I do know female managers who take of a male type of persona, and some who are just as successful who manage with a female flair.

On an interesting note... two of the female managers that I consider to be successful watch soaps everyday with their staff. One told me that she finds her staff will talk about the soaps and not each-other.
  10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    well i've experienced both

at my current job, the owner is kinda sexist and he only has guy managers which kinda sucks....they don't really take crap from me unless they are in a good mood and since i'm stubborn they're stubborn too but what are they gonna do fire me with 2 weeks I care

at my old job I had a female employer, her dad owned the business, she was kind of an idiot, i could lie to her all the time and even if she knew it was a lie she was compassionate. At the same time she would get moody once in a while and she was more lazy than my current boss'. It was cool tho because if I didn't feel like going in I could pretend to break up with my girlfriend and be "distraught" over it and she would be like ok thats fine...all in all they were good times but it seems like in terms of averages the female managers i've had are a bit weaker under the pressure and often can't adapt so they lose the position....this is just my experience not a sexist tirade.