Does Airport Express work with old airport

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

Do any of you know if the Airport Express will work as a repeater for an old airport basestation. My basestation won't reach quite far enough in my new house and I was wanting one of those anyways.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

3. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

I agree with lee tom though the speed of the connection between you computer and Airport Expess will be slower than with an Airport Expess card but that is to be expected :).

4. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Yes I have both 802.11b and 802.11g (regular and extreme) devices on my network.

One oddity though is my 802.11g clients (extreme) kinda have a tendancy to puke when my TiVo's (802.11b) are copying a show from one to the other.

Other 802.11b devices are fine, just the 802.11g (Powerbook 12") seem to get upset about it.

I have an iMac with Airport, Powerbook with Airport Extreme, two TiVos with USB 802.11b Linksys, and my work laptop (IBM) with 802.11b in it.

There is an 802.11b/g compat mode on the Extreme base stations. You can force it all g or all b if you want as well.

5. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

doh

i hate the names being so close.

Everything I've read on my ordered Airport Express says it will support 802.11g as an extension, and host 802.11b/g clients. It doesn't indicate though if it'd extend an 802.11b network

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

My only concern would be if you plan to use the AirTunes feature. Since my understanding is that it will be receiving Apple Lossless Codec signals, does 802.11b have enough bandwidth?

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I seriously doubt it will work as a repeater for an old airport base station. I bought an AEBS to work with my old base station in the same way, and it did not work. Since Airport Express is basically a baby version of AEBS, I don't think it would have functionality that the AEBS doesn't have.

8. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Apple's website states that the AirPort Express can extend the AirPort Extreme Base Station only. It will not work at all with an old AirPort Base Station.

However, you can have two wireless networks in your house. The old ABS and the the new AE, but you will have to switch between the two (I think it can automatically do this). This also requires that your AE is wired to ethernet and you know the rest...