Does Airport Extreme Card Work with non-airport base station?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jethroted, Dec 7, 2003.

1. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Does anyone know if you can use the airport extreme card with other vendors 802.11g stations? I can't seem to find that info on their web site. All it says is that windows computers can use the airport base station.

2. pyknosis macrumors newbie

I have successfully used Aiport-equipped powerbooks (normal and extreme) with several non-airport base stations at various locations without any problems.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

802.11b/g are standards. It does't matter who makes the hardware. If you use it in Starbucks or any other public place, chances are you won't be on Apple hardware but it will work just as well. Actually, you'll probably be on a Linksys router named "linksys" broadcasting on channel 6. People should really change the defaults.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

actually i don't think 802.11g (or a for that matter) is s standard yet, but it's close enough that the hardware works together fine. it may have been ratified into a standard since i have paid attention, tho...

pnw

5. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

The only thing I was concerned about was that Apple used the term "based" on 802.11g. So that could mean it's just Apples variant on the technology. I just wanted to make sure that was not the case.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

To answer the question if the airport extreme is compatible with other venders the answer is yes. the airport extreme is Wi-Fi certified. ie all vendor certified by the Wi-Fi alliances will all work together. Another thing. Apple hardware isn't close, it meets specs.

the 802.11g has been ratified.
    http://standards.ieee.org/cgi-bin/status?wireless

Designation: 802.11g-2003

Sponsor: Computer Society/Local and Metropolitan Area Networks

Title: IEEE Standard for Information Technology - Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems - Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Specific Requirements - Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: Further Higher Data Rate Extension in the 2.4 GHz Band

Publication type: Special Publication

Technical Contact: Stuart J Kerry, Phone:408-348-3171, Email:stuart@ok-brit.com **For non-technical questions, including pricing, availability and ordering, please contact IEEE Customer Service at 1-800-678-IEEE (in U.S.and Canada); or 1-732-981-0060 (outside the U.S. and Canada); or send an email customer.service@ieee.org

History: PAR APP: Sep 21, 2000, BD APP: Jun 12, 2003, ANSI APP: Oct 20, 2003

Project scope: To develop a higher speed(s) PHY extension to 802.11b.

Project purpose: To develop a new PHY extension to enhance the performance and the possible applications of the 802.11b compatible networks by increasing the data rate achievable by such devices. This technology will be beneficial for improved access to fixed network LAN and inter-network infrastructure (including access to other wireless LANs) via a network of access points, as well as creation of higher performance ad hoc networks.

Keywords: