Does album artwork transfer to ipod?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mfacey, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I was wondering whether my album artwork is transferred to my 3G 20GB ipod when i sync with itunes. I know it does when you have an ipod photo but has apple been clever enough to keep 3G ipods from wasting their diskspace on album art?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I would say it does transfer over. The album art becomes part of the file, so the entire file gets transfered over. If you keep your art small, say 200x200 pixels, and jpeged, it should be around 12-20K at most that's added to the music file.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It indeed transfers regardless of the type of iPod you have.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Help

Help. My 60Gig is working a treat (mostly) but I have just started adding album art and things seem to have gone nutz. I added art to 7 albums / 137 tracks. Pics grabed of the web, not big or anything. When I updated my iPod it added an extra 2.65 GIG above the music size of my library. <<insert expletive here>> What gives?

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i waas wondering about whether the album artwork became part of the file or does it become part of the library? because i want to reformat soon and i dont want to loose my many hours of getting allmy album art!

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

From what I understand it gets embedded (iTunes says this) in the music file. Its only meant to be up to 200k per track - which aint much.

I am still experimenting. It seems to be working fine now...I wonder if some photos didn't get synched on my previous synch and moved with this one making me think the album art was much much larger than it is...

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I've racked up about 2-3 extra gigs on my Photo iPod with the addition of about 4,000 pictures, being a mix of regular pictures and album art.

jon

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, that could be my problem - misreading what was going on when I synched a few times.

Do you also have the annoyance of having to slect-menu reset your pod half the time to make it recognised when its chucked in the cradle?