Does any know how to rip audio from a MUXED MPEG 1 video back to audio ?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by barkmonster, Aug 1, 2002.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I want to rip the audio out of a few MPEG 1 movie files so I can edit sections of it. I've already tried QT, Protools, iTunes, SoundApp and Soundjam. Some of them will play an MPEG video as audio but none of them let me rip just the audio part back to audio.

I did think I could just import a video into protools and then record the output of it's audio to a new track, leaving everything in sync but the only way around it is to literally record it while playing it back in quicktime with the mac outputs going into protools, this adds noise from the mac's £10 worth of dated audio hardware and also means I have to edit out the silence before the recording and then no matter what I do if I edit the audio and then try and sync it back to the video it seems slightly out of time like digital cable used to be before they improved the compression.

Has anyone got any idea of a simple way of ripping the audio ?

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well i do know how to do it, in theory. i have never been able to do it myself. i'll have to have a think about it and i'll try to post a solution later today.

the simplest way i can think of right now is if you want to rip the audio from a DVD. you could just get a ripping program and then the audio will be ripped to aiff. and aiff is an audio format all by itself, isn't it? then you shouldn't have to convert it or anything!

3. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

A little more info...

I've got quite a lot of music videos as MPEGs, most singles come with videos since about '99 so the more modern stuff isn't a problem because.

What I want to do is literally convert the MPEG video to AIFF, SDII or WAV. Edit the audio (remove hiss, crackle etc...), bring both the original mpeg video and the newly created audio into quicktime and recompress it as MPEG-4 so the file size is still quite small but the compression doesn't ruin the quality.

For simply converting to MPEG-4, it's not possible, quicktime only sees and MPEG1 file as video and ignores the audio, this also applies if I want to save the video as an AIFF, I imagine Protools, Soundapp and the other apps I use can't rip it because they use quicktime for a lot of their functionality.

This is why I need a converter rather than simply recording the audio.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

oh, i understand now. so you don't want to just rip the audio, you need to convert the whole movie. have you had a look on versiontracker.com? i don't know much about it, but there has to be heaps of others that here in Macrumors that could help...