Does any one here use undercover?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lexus, May 31, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Just wondering if any one here uses undercover by orbicule. If so can you share some of your stories and tell us what you think and whether it is worth purchasing.

Thank You

2. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

that sounds like a really good program and i am definitly going to get that for my macbook seomtime in july for my birthday.

3. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

4. LastLine macrumors 65816

Never heard of it, but surely the thief could just uninstall it?

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

They have a couple of countermeasures against that. It requires an Administrator password to be uninstalled and if you set a firmware password, it's harder to reinstall the OS, too. I do suspect it's possible to get past the firmware password somehow, but I don't know how.

What I wonder, and I've look at their "FAQ" and "How it Works" is if the green light on the iSight camera comes on when it takes pictures with the camera. If it doesn't, I'm not sure I like it, because that means other apps also can take pics without turning on the camera light.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

That's crazy, but i doubt anyone is going to walk out my house with my iMac...This app is for all you portable people..

7. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Where did it say it takes a picture? I may have missed it, but I never saw anything referring to the iSight.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

On the front page:

Attached Files:

9. LastLine macrumors 65816

I'm tempted to buy a house license and put it on the laptops of myself and my brother as we're both moving to uni next year. HTat said as a house license I'd also bung it on the iMac and hte mini just to be sure.

10. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Im actually trying to build a open source version of this but with extra features that are not exactly specific to MacOSX but as soon as i can launch the service im sure people will help me add in the extras that people wish.

Actually Orbicule is a reverse of me as i developed MultiAlarm they had the undercover as i was developing my undercover they developed theftsensor.

Funny thing is both of us never knew of each other before we started out developments :p

11. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Do you have a website?

12. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Not yet as its really still in development but thought i would comment since i have actually seen their products in work

13. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

We would love to see what you have done once its finished.

14. JonD25 macrumors 6502

My friend just had her iBook stolen from her house a block away from me. This scared me enough to buy it for my iMac. Sure, it's a desktop, but it's pretty compact and easy to grab for a theif, plus I live on a college campus that has had a few large scale thefts in the past. $25 for peace of mind is worth it to me.

15. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Tell us how it runs? Do you see any icons or does it run in the background?

16. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

From what I understand, It runs completely in the background. I am not too worried about the firmware password, as they couldn't install OSX w/o the intel build... which is safely tucked away in my room.

17. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Yup, all in the background. It's not even in the Applications folder or in the User Settings as a login item. It's pretty much completely invisible.

18. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Why does it take a picture every 6 minutes..? :confused:
    Is it too easy to pick up on every 5?

19. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Can you see it anywhere?

20. JonD25 macrumors 6502

You could probably find it in the activity monitor if you knew what you were looking for, but there's nothing in there titled "undercover".

21. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

So there would be no reason for the thief to suspect it. I am purchasing it and setting my computer to ask for login when it goes to sleep. I am going to create a blank account that is not password protected that the thief would log into. Violá