Does anybody ever use Sherlock???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mfacey, Oct 18, 2004.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I think this is probably the one piece of software that comes with Panther that I NEVER use. What's the point when we have such great search tools online? :confused:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, I don't.

Maybe somebody might come along and tell us why we should and what fab things you can do with it...

3. federalists macrumors member

i use it for several things. first, i use it for finding movies around my house. it doesn't do that great a job for the indie houses, but it does pretty well for major movies. i also use it for the translator. lastly, i use it to check on the status of delta flights. so it has it's uses.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I use it to search AppleCare support documents; that's all I use it for, though.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Same here, and I also use the dictionary. I think I'd use it a lot more if I were in the states, that seems to be the region for which most of the interesting channels have been written.

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

i definitely use it for movies and directions...i know you can find those on the internet but i try to avoid browser usage alot

7. alywa macrumors 6502

I use it occasionally

It is a pretty handy program for tracking ebay items (much quicker than using ebay's site). Plus, it does a good job for movies, directions, and other quick stuff (dictionary, etc).

It has a lot of potential, but I don't think it will ever be fully realized, as I just don't think most people will see the point, when their web browser will do all of the same things (albeit with a bit more work)

-alywa

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's better than Mapquest

I use it when I am looking for services that I have not used locally before. Like a plumber or something, Sherlock lists everything nearby including telephone numbers, street addresses, and even a map. I like that feature, it is more specific than search engines like google when you are looking for something like storage.

The Ebay function is pretty cool as well, it's easier to use than EBay is.

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I used back in the os 8.6-9.2 days, but
    when i installed osx 10.1 the Sherlock didn't work at all! (i'm takling about the osx version.) It worked after i installed os 10.2, but i never use it anymore..

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I use it from time to time for translations where I'm unsure or for web searches where google doesn't help. I think it's probably of little value to those outside the U.S.A., though.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I like its translater and dictionary tools.

13. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have used it once or twice. mainly for translation but also for the dictionary when i cant be bothered to get mine out!

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Generic searching is the only thing I don't use it for. I use the other channels regularly. It really needs to be a widget alternative in Tiger.

15. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i wanted to like sherlock, but when sherlock 3 came out with jaguar, it just wasn't ever as good as watson. watson was one of the reasons i bought a mac, and i used watson to check tv listings and the weather. you can't do those things on sherlock. (and if someone can find good channels that'll work please let me know)

but now that karelia sold watsons technology to sun, i really have no idea what i'll use for those tools. after using watson for as long as i have - it feels primitive to do these things in a web browser.

16. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I used to use Watson, before Sherlock acquired its features. I still think that it is way faster than Sherlock, when loading and finding things that is.

Anyway, i hardly ever use Sherlock myself. On occasion, i do use it to find movies that are playing in my area. Hardly ever for driving directions because MapQuest is so much better.

17. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

i think more people might use sherlock if it wasn't hidden away in the application folder (ie: if it came preloaded in the dock).
    that way, they wouldnt have a chance to find other ways to do stuff through browsers

i like the gutenberg book searching channel, as well as translating, dictionary, and sometimes ebay, but really, i dont do any of those very often

18. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

useful, but...

it could easily be replaced by a folder of weblinks.
    the idea probably came from Watson (3rd party app from early OS X - get it? sherlock; watson) which had about the same funtionality, but for some reason seemed a lot more useful.
    i think sherlock would be good if it were easy to make your own channels does it have RSS integration? if it doesn't, it probably will in tiger.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I use it for movies primarily, but also for the dictionary, translations, and phone book (which I find very useful when looking for a business category or other times I'm not sure of the details). I've got it set to load (hidden) at start-up, so it's always quickly usable. I probably access it five times a week.

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Never. Only if I'm forced to search for something on an OS9 box.

21. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Yes, dictionary and translator. I think we have done this before...

22. Macdantheman07 macrumors member

I use it all the time. Dictionary, movie, translator, and applecare

23. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

nope, the only time i used it was when i tried to figure out what it was and if it would be of any use to me.

i haven't used it since! :D

24. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

I seem to remember that in OS10.1 Sherlock was used to do searches on the hard-disk. (I don't know about 10.2, upgraded straight to panther). Is this correct?

Seeing as they moved that feature directly into Finder, I guess it sort of killed Sherlock. Oh well. Guess it'll be dumped in 10.4, or otherwise I hope they do something to add some value.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil