Does anybody run Mac OS X Leopard/Lion? Could you please confirm something for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by 1theo0, Jul 21, 2012.

1. 1theo0, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

macrumors newbie

1theo0

If you run Mac OS X Leopard or Mac OS X Lion, please go to
    and see if you've got those 14 files:

frontline.png
    indicator_large.png
    indicator_medium_simple.png
    indicator_medium.png
    indicator_small_simple.png
    indicator_small.png
    openinfinder.png
    resizecursor.png
    resizecursorv.png
    scurve-l.png
    scurve-m.png
    scurve-sm.png
    scurve-xl.png
    separator.png

Reply to my thread and specify your OS please! :)
    Thank you!

2. xStep, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

macrumors 68000

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

1theo0

Thank you! :D I'll now wait for someone else with Mac OS X Leopard to confirm as well.

4. macrumors 603

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

1theo0

Wonderful!
    Now, I've created a script which helps you install the Mac OS X Mountain Lion Dock (and also restore the original one) on Leopard 10.5 and higher. If you're not feeling like updating to the new OS, you can at least try the new Dock.
    I must warn you, however, that the dock won't look identical to the new one, even though I used its original resources from ML DP4.
    The ML Dock now uses different layers to render the pleasing image. It has, apparently, a top layer for the icons and their blurred reflection, and a bottom layer for the dock itself, reflecting the background colors.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68020

Note that modifying stuff inside /System generally (and modifying the internal contents of apps in there particularly) is a Bad Idea™.

Because apps are Code-signed, unauthorised modification may stop the app from being run. System updates may also restore the original files, or change the way that things work so that the patch is modifying the wrong thing.

If this were to fix a bug in a hardware driver or .kext, then perhaps there might be a justification. But for cosmetic reasons, it's imprudent.

Just stating the case so that people can make an informed decision. At the very least, make sure you have a backup of the original unaltered file.

Also, if you are including files from Mountain Lion in a publicly available resource, be aware that Apple might have a legal position on that.

7. alberson, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

macrumors newbie

Could you please post your Dock.app from Mountain Lion? I messed up mine with and outdated customization program and need the png files.

Thank you!

Edit: there are the files I need from Mountain Lion's Dock:
    right2.png
    right3.png
    right4.png
    right5.png
    bottom1.png
    bottom2.png
    bottom3.png
    bottom4.png
    bottom5.png
    left1.png
    left2.png
    left3.png
    left4.png
    left5.png
    right1.png
    scurve-xl.png
    scurve-sm.png
    scurve-l.png
    scurve-m.png
    frontline.png
    DockMenus.plist
    LaunchPadLayout.plist

8. macrumors member

I want the blur. How?

I customised my dock and I loved it, but I noticed the dock isn't blurry. How to blur the dock?

I use 10.7.4

Thank you!

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

1theo0

In Mountain Lion, the dock now works differently... There are 3 layers: the shadow, the dock render, and the blurry reflections of the icons. Here's a good analysis: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1383647&page=2
    I thought about dropping the Dock.app from 10.8 into an older version, but realized that it wouldn't work because of the version.

See the link above, the author posted the app. I would have done so, but I now only run Snow Leopard and won't update too soon...