Does anybody think that the really low PC laptop prices will affect ibook sales?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Sep 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i just got back from circuit city and was amazed how low they were selling entry level PC laptops for

for $749 to $849 usd, they had 2 ghz celeron laptops, 256 mb ddr ram, 30-40 gb hard drives, 15" screens, cdrw-dvd combo drives, and 32-64 mb of video...and with extra warranty coverage, including display, for only $169.00 for 2 years

that's not a bad deal, especially for the large screen and the combo drive

will first time laptop buyers be swerved away from the entry level ibook? and should apple reduce the price of the $999 dollar ibook or at least keep pace by offering it at that price with the combo drive?

how about $899 for ibook with cd-rom
    $999 for ibook with combo drive
    $1,099 for 14" ibook with combo drive
    $1,199 for 14" ibook with superdrive

...and start the 12" combo drive powerbook at $1399 and go up from there to 12" with superdrive, to 15" with superdrive, to the 17" with superdrive and keep that top level laptop below three grand

it might be a good idea to move as many G3 ibooks and G4 powerbooks for the next six to eight months before introducing G4 ibooks and G5 powerbooks

2. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I would not buy 14" ibook. Cuz they look like they were rushed to put in stores. And they look like crap too.
    If one is getting an ibook, 12" is the way to go.

3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

people are stupid, they are gonna look at the ibook and see 900MHz for $999, then look at a pc and see 2000MHz for $749 and get the pc, without knowing how stupid of a choice that would be. apple needs to do something. the ibook is good enough for someone who actually knows what they are doing to see the better deal and buy it, but apple needs to do something for the average idiot...

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

they should make the 14" widescreen so it isnt as fugly as it is now.

umm why did u put the 14" ibook with a superdrive? g3s cannot use iDVD which is what the majority of people would want to use...

definitely need to have a 999 usable computer. EVERYONE NEEDS A COMBO DRIVE; there is always a need.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't see it being a huge affect on the iBook. If you want a Macintosh laptop, then you will get a Macintosh laptop. If you want a PC laptop, then you will get a PC laptop. I don't have much money, but I know what I want and a PC laptop is not that, so I am getting a new Mac. Perhaps with first time buyers it might be different, but overall, it's apples to oranges.