Does anybody use the S-video out on their powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by adk, Jan 2, 2006.

1. adk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

adk

Amazingly, I just noticed the S-Video (or at least I think it is, it's right next to my DVI port) connection in my 15" powerbook. Does anybody use this, and what is it good for?

2. TheMonarch
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I use it :)... And...

Uh...

Its good for connecting to my TV... ;)

3. grapes911
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I use it a lot. Great for watching movies on my TV at home. My DVD player is at school.

4. Counterfit
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's great for connecting to TVs, or anything else that doesn't have DVI or VGA inputs.

5. kretzy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

kretzy

I often hook it up to a TV or projector to watch movies, slideshows etc. This way I can use my JBL Creature II's for better sound quality. Me and my friends sometimes hook it up to a bigger screen to play Yahoo Word Racer together (geeky i know, but lots of fun). I suppose another advantage could be recording to VHS if you had a purpose for that.

6. semaja2
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

i just brought the adapter for my ibook, its great cuz i can watch videos in the lounge or when i goto school i can do presentations on the tv and projetors

7. HiRez
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

HiRez

Yep, I use it all the time. It's also a composite video connector, but you need the small adapter cable that should have come with your PowerBook.

8. wPod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

wPod

i keep intending to use it to hook to my TV but every time i think about it, connecting up and finding all the cables just seems to time consuming. . . i wonder if there will ever be an airport express for video streaming . . . heh

9. jimN
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jimN

There's an S-video out!

So does my twelve inch have one too then?

10. joepunk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

joepunk

Nope.

I would but my roommates TV does not have a S-Video port. My TV does but I don't have it at Uni. And my roommates VCR does not even record or have a way to rewind/fast-forward.

11. lom8104
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I tried using the s-video out so that I could play Halo on my TV but the output was B&W! I have watched movies no before with no problem, ideas?

12. szark
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

szark

Yes, but you need to purchase the Mini DVI to Video Adapter to use it.

I use my S-Video out to watch Steve's keynote speeches on my 56" widescreen television. :D

13. Dave00
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Have an S-video on my old Powerbook G3 Pismo - one of the many things that made this a great machine... anyway, you can either use this for video spanning or video mirroring. The thing I usually used it for was presentations - back when I was doing presentations. It's easy to use the powerbook screen for your notes and the S-video to export your slides.

Dave

14. ibglowin
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Heck yea!

I have been using my old G3 Pismo as my "CD Player" for over a year now. I ripped all my CD's and dumped my 250 Disc CD changer for this setup. I have the audio fed into the A/V receiver and the S-Video out on the Powerbook going into one of the inputs on my 60" Sony HDTV. Not only can I easily find my music, I can watch it on my TV as well.

Now give me Front Row please!

Attached Files:

15. goodwill
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

haha. that is a sweet setup!

i think if you have the capability to use your cable with the s-video outlet on your t.v, then definately do it. especially for things that have already been mentioned like, photos, movies etc.

16. aricher
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

aricher

I use it every day for presentations, video, photos, music. Very useful and to me was one of the main selling points of the PowerBook.

17. ChrisBrightwell
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

The s-video port was a big selling point for the 15" over the 12" or even the iBook for me. I use it daily for connecting to inputs on projectors, TVs, and camcorders.

18. Marky_Mark
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

The problem is the colour sync on the cable - I am presuming you use a SCART adaptor to connect the cable at the TV end? If so, you need to get one which works with the right sync 'thingy'. I don't pretend to understand this stuff, just that this is the cause. I posted a link on another thread here, a few weeks ago, after this setup was recommended to me. I purchased it and can vouch that it works (albeit with some minor fringing because of the lower resolution of my TV):