does anybody use their eMac superdrives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by believo, May 26, 2004.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

I was wondering if current eMac users get use out of their superdrives or if they wish they would have just gone with the combo drive?
    thanks in advance.

2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for a year and a half, haven't used it at all. Now, if I know how to copy commercial DVDs, I'd use it twice a week.

3. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have a 12" PB and what I use the most is the DVD burning capability! for back ups and DVD videos for my clients specially, at list once a week.

5. OziMac macrumors 6502

I bought a run-out 1GHz eMac with a CD-ROM for a bargain price and swapped the CD-ROM with a Pioneer 107 (equivalent of the new 8x superdrives). Bye bye warranty, but welcome superdrive goodness.

I must say it really depends on what you do - I use DVD burning all the time, for making DVD videos (home and for projects), for archiving music and documents and even for transporting large files (especially DV files, even though this is more effective by firewire, sometimes other people don't have firewire). So I am loving the superdrive.

On the flipside, if you do none of the above, I can understand that you would probably find it of no use whatever. To each their own, it's something you need to consider before you buy.

6. JLaFrance macrumors member

I have a 1GHz eMac, ummm...I havent ever used the SuperDrive, but when i got the machine i said to myself, "ive got the money and i wanna have it." So in conclusion, prolly not that useful for the average joe, but why not have the capability?

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If it helps I wrestled with my PB purchase late last year. Glad that I went with the SD. It is great for backups of data, and photos. And for stuff like MacTheRipper and DVD2OneX.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I use my superdrive in my emac all the time. Most of what I do is for making movies or backing up music and photos. So much more space on a dvd than a cd really helps on large files/projects.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

No emac, but I do have a superdrive and yes I do use it. Mostly for backups at the moment but I just got a camcorder so I expect to be using it a lot more from now on.

11. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I use my iMac's superdrive several times a month. I use it for backing up files and burning cd's. I don't burn many cd's now that I have an iTrip. I also record birthday parties, Christmas morning, and vacations and then burn them to DVD. Parents and in-laws always want pics of the kids, so instead of a million emails, I burn a disc whenever I have a bunch of new pics. I find the superdrive pretty useful.

12. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

uhhh

My dad never uses his emac superdrive. Plus even though im a complete computer geek and would love dvd burner capabilities, when i get my new emac (within a week :D ) its getting combo, id rather not spend 200 bux. Plus you can get cheapy ext. usb/fire dvd burners now anyways.