Does anyone bank with Natwest?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jimN, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

They have changed their software over the weekend and now i can't get in using firefox, safari or internet explorer. Something of a bother, it says that mozilla should work but if that is the case i don't see why firefox doesn't. Mind you it all says that IE should work but it doesn't. All terribly frustrating - i tried calling today but evidently they are getting too many complaints at the moment to field calls quickly and i couldn't be bothered to wait.

Just curious if anyone else is having problems and how they are dealing with them?

2. orkle macrumors member

Yeah I use them for my business banking. I've been using Firefox and it all seems to be working OK. All of the styles and font sizes look enormous though which is obviously a touch of shoddy testing!

But it seems to function fine - do you have the latest version of Firefox?

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

4. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

*laughs*

Don't even get me started on Natwest - it's always been a useless website for browsing on anything other than IE For PC.

Still, I use Netscape as it generally works perfectly. I too, couldn't get IE to work for me.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

6. jimN thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimN

am using the deerpark alpha of firefox, that may be where the problem lies! Shall see what i can do.

7. mpw Guest

I don't bank with NatWest. I used to work for NatWest. I don't bank with NatWest.

I thinks that says enough.

8. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Really?! Our whole family is with them (apart from a few barclays and hsbc accounts scattered around) and we've always found Natwest to be excellent. They're always on the end of the phone when i need them...

9. mpw Guest

I don't doubt that most Banks operate the same but having seen it NatWest operate from the otherside of the counter I wouldn't trust them with my money. I'm probably putting my head in the sand and Lloyds etc. are just as bad.

10. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I bank with Halifax- its got the best online banking site out there I reckon. It works flawlessly on Safari and Firefox too.

11. Nutter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information guys.

By the way, there is a way to access NatWest Online Banking using Safari. To do this, you have to turn on Safari's debug menu, as described here:
    http://www.veshman.com/mt/archives/000094.php

In the debug menu under user agent, select "Windows MSIE 6.0".

You should then be able to access the online banking system with no apparent problems.

12. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

why would anybody want to bank with Natwest? they are rubbish in every sense, interest, webpage.

I used natwest when i was a student because they make it easy for student to open accounts and they are there the first day of college but then they treat students like **** in student branches.

I also use Halifax now, much better, better interest in current account and a nice and simple website.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I use the Bank of Scotland which used to work flawlessly until they used some of the Halifax system. Now I can send payments to existing contacts in Safari but I can only set up new payment details in Firefox. The buttons don't appear in Safari.

Not to mention that their online banking system no longer works on a rotating system with the oldest transactions dropping off and the newer ones staying available. Instead, each time it reaches a set point - 500 or 1000 transactions - it archives them all so that you can no longer see them. Vastly frustrating since you can then no longer check through them and on the occasion it happened to me, their only suggestion was to wait until the statement arrived or they could read out my transactions over the phone.
    Great when you're going on holiday the next day and just wanted to confirm you had enough cash in the system.

Unfortunately, banks don't have personal customers interests at heart. I don't think I've had any benefits from the HBOS merger - I can't use Halifax branches to pay in cheques (although H'fax can use BoS branches), their internet banking is worse, their card issuing service takes 7 days longer and they have those annoying karaoke adverts. I know a few old BoS staff who have since moved accounts. Argh... end rant.

I hope your Natwest starts working properly again though

14. jimN thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimN

Installed firefox proper (as opposed to the alpha of deerpark) and all is now well in the world. For me natwest have been fine. There's a couple of minor annoyances, typified by the problem my fiance had at the weekend. She is no longer a student but they want to see a graduation certificate - the large salary being paid directly into her account each month isn't enough. Plus as far as i can tell your benefits are reduced by being a graduate so it is in their interest to believe you. Yes interest is pants but given that my account is only ever in the black for about three days after payday that is laregly irrelevant!!

Thanks to all of those who offered advice.

For what it's worth i like the website although when i tried to apply for an account online my branch never got in touch and denied all knowledge when i went in to offer formal ID - muppets!!

15. Project macrumors 68020

I bank with them AND work for them part-time (well, the parent company RBS anyways)..

That said, I would not recommend them... I seem to be the only person at the office who wants to help the customers, and not rely solely on increasing an already obscene bottom line on the accounts lol.

16. Euan macrumors regular

I had problems using my internet banking with CB when using Firefox. I contacted them and they told me of a solution.