Does anyone care about our oceans?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by njmac, Aug 2, 2006.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    This article in the LA Times is really scary to me.

I do care about the birds but I also care about eating fish from filthy oceans. Fish is so nutritious and tasty but getting so poisoned from the pollution.

I may be a little sensitive today though because I've spent the morning researching healthy foods for me and my family to eat and it seems like there is nothing healthy. I read an article about soy being bad for us and the environment, peppers, eggplant and other members of the nightshade family causes infamation, pesticide residues on fruit and vegetables accumulate in us but especially children. What is left? Is there any friggin' thing that is good for us?

Anyway, this article really highlights the environmental conditions we are causing.

2. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Be comforted by this article that something is being done (at least for beaches) and realize that you can be proactive about it.

As for food for your could always start your own garden for your veggie needs.
  3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    That's just gross.
  4. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I wouldn't worry. With current factory trawling methods continuing unabated, it's only another 20 years until all the fish in the sea are gone. Then we can pollute it as much as we like.
  5. Vster macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    Celina, TX
    I looked up the Eastern Garbage Patch and found this site...

Its really sad and disturbing.
  6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    When I was very young, I remember the "grown-ups" throwing trash into the ocean with no shame from fishing boats. People probably don't realize how collectively it adds up.
  7. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Just one more example of how humans are by far the stupidest animal on the planet. Hamsters have more common sense.
  8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

Being a diver, I am always in a state of disbelief whenever I dive reefs and other salt water sites. The impact that human action has had on the oceans is incredable. The anchor scars on the reefs, the garbage on the bottom, the wildlife with prop scars on their backs, fish swimming around with rusted hooks in their mouths from cut lines. My buddies and I take a lot of pride in trying to pick up the trash we find and leave things a little better.

The stories I have heard about what US Navy ships deep six are just disturbing.
  9. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    We do that here too. Both PADI UK and BSAC organise beach and sea bottom cleaning days. The Solent near Southampton is particularly bad, especially at this time of year just after Cowes week when the sea bottom is littered with empty wine bottles.
  10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2006
    East of the Mississippi
    I stopped caring when they stopped mixing dolphin with the tuna. :D