Does anyone do emulated games on their Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by princealfie, Oct 4, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Right now I've been using sixty force on my iBook to play N64 games. Does anyone else here use their Mac for emulation gaming?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't. I kept the consoles or re-bought broken ones and purchase games from eBay or GameStation which have excellent retro bargains. I'm a bit of a purist.

3. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Personally I can't get sixtyforce to work on my MBP. Don't understand what I'm doing wrong

4. hellodon macrumors 6502

What controller do you guys use for n64 emulation? That's the only reason i never bothered...seemed like without that n64 controller it would just be difficult to play the games.

5. jericho53 macrumors regular

I am new to the emu thing. Where do I get games? I own a n64 and alot of games but it would be nice to play them on my iBook.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You gotta acquire the games from questionable sources.

I use a Xbox 360 controller to play the games. Actually is more comfy to me than the N64 controller.

7. jericho53 macrumors regular

Are we talking p2p file sharing? Please thow me a bone and point me in the right direction?

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've used MacMAME in the past, but that's about it. As for my PC though, I use ZSNES and NESticle... :cool:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You do? I'm running a standard retail copy of Final Fantasy X through an emulator, and I didn't have to do anything dodgy on the game side of things. Finding a ROM that matched the real PS2 was the tricky bit.

10. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Definitely. I run:
    - power 64 (C64)
    - SNES
    - NES (Rock NES)
    - Stella (Atari 2600)
    - MAME

Not so much luck with th e N64 emulator (on the PB), but the G5 handles it pretty well most times.

11. ericsthename macrumors regular

Yeah, P2P will get you most any rom you want, bittorrent too if you know where to look. I tried the new version of Sixtyforce on my macbook pro, but found that it is still lacking compared to the windows emulators. If you can dual boot, download project64 and you will find that most everything works, and can be made to look even better than N64 natively.

On the SNES side of things however, dual booting is entirely unnecessary. SNES9x works well for PPC and Intel macs.

I used to have an old iShock controller from Macally, which was basically a playstation lookalike. I recently bought a madcatz mini 360 controller, because im a huge fan of the xbox controller, and this one can potentially be used for both. It has a neat feature - there is a little switch on the underside of the controller to invert the axes of the thumbsticks, which is somewhat useful because i don't invert, but most of my friends do. This makes it easy to pass the controller back and forth without having to change software prefs everytime.

Just a thought - I dont really see much difference in playing old console games for "free" on a computer, and watching tv broadcast movies taped to VHS. I mean, everyone knows that these games have seen their day, and there is no real, significant loss of intellectual property going on. Only recently have companies (Wii anyone? Xbox Live arcade?) recognized that there is a potential market in "old school" gaming. Paying up to $15-20 for a recycled product is almost too much for me. So I for one, don't feel like this is as taboo a subject as some people on here make it out to be. Am I a theif for taking the day old doughnuts left outside the back door of safeway?

Just my 2 cents :)

12. jericho53 macrumors regular

You make a good point. I also own most of the games I want to play on the emu. Thanks for the advice.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

#1 -- Uhhh how did you get the ROM?

#2 'running a standard retail copy of FFX' -- so do you have the PS2 disc in your computer or something? :confused:

-- MrMacMan

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I found it somewhere online, I can't remember where now. To stay legal, you should own a real PS2 before downloading, and in my case I went a step further and ensured that I had the same version :)

Yes, they're readable in standard DVD drives.

15. Kimi macrumors regular

Can someone drop the name of the PS2 emulator? I've used a PS1 one, but that was a long time ago. Would be nice to play some games while I'm at uni.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oops, I failed to mention that it's a Windows-based emulator. It's called PCSX2, and it works under Boot Camp.

17. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ditto.

18. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i use BSNES and sixty-force just for a couple of mario games

19. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Still waiting for a good Amiga emulator. UAE is nice but sometimes lacks speed on both my old PowerBook 1.25 and an AMD Winchester 3500+ (which *should* be fast enough for some decent emulation I thought)... :(

Anyway, SNES9x and Power 64 both are great emulators indeed!

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This is how the xbox will live on....holding all of Neo Geo, Turbo G16, Sega, NES,SNES,N64 games I got.

configured for the PSP soon:D ;)

Bless

21. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Sixty force is only ideal under PowerPc chips I think.

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

My XBOX is my emulator machine:

NES
    SNES
    GBA
    Genesis
    MAME
    CP1/2
    NEOGEO
    N64

used to also have PS1 but since I got a modded PS2, I dont need that on the XBOX.

IN terms of OSX compatible emulation programs, there is never going to be an N64, Dreamcast, PS2 or XBOX emulator that actually works, so dont ask. yes, some exist, but they truly suck and will never be as stable or as useful as anything 16-bit and older.

23. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

what makes u think that? :eek:

24. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Do you have the Universal beta? It sucks, and I've had nothing but problems with it, but maybe you'll have better luck.

25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yeah I have the universal beta doesnt work :( The only one I can get working is the snes. Can't seem to find many mac emulators