Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
why does iPhoto have to save the picture twice when you import it?
(once in data, once in originals)
then you enhance it and it saves it again.
i have a 6 megapixel camera, so my pics huge pics get saved 3 times.:mad:

and dont think you can jsut delete them from originals because somehow that makes iPhoto extremely slow. :mad:
dont delete them from data or they wont show up in the iPhoto window
(with Windows Vista, photos only get save once and they stay together)
if you enhance or otherwise edit a photo, the new version goes to "modified" folder, but if you dont enhance all of them (because iPhoto isn't the most sophisticate photo enhancement technology) the one you dont enhance stay in originals.
so when you want to print or upload all of them you are jumping back and forth from modified to originals.:mad:
with vista, you tag a photo and it pulls it up quickly when you search for it.
and it keeps them together.

dont you hate how iPhoto creates a whole new roll everytime you want to add one photo at a time? you have to remember which roll its in:mad:
and when i add photos the camera has a date file on it (everyday is 1/1/2005 to my dad's camera because he always changes the batteries and he never sets the date) so when it adds photos with that date on them, it upts them in a 2005 folder:confused: regardless of when it was added to iPhoto

and dont you hate how when you are looking at the picture files, it cant show a thumbnail view, so you can see what all the files are before you click them
my old windows 2000 computer showed pics in thumbnail view (before XP and that means ancient)

so that's my gripe about how my macbook aranges photos

you cant reverse the image.
you cant shrink the size of an image
all you can do is common functions
you cant croping part of an image to cut or paste it.

cant wait for the new vista i'm getting. its going to blow OSX away FOR SURE.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
first of all, i agree with dllavaneras that one app isn't a reason to choose an OS. iTunes and iPhoto both organize files in ways that are convenient for people who aren't interested in creating complex file trees. if this is what you want to do, bibble, aperture, lightzone, capture one, any many other programs will allow you to do so.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Spend some time playing with iPhoto or buy the Missing Manual book for it. It's designed so you do everything through iPhoto and not through the Finder. Keyword and search for them that way and let it catalogue your images - don't fret about what's happening behind the scenes.

It's not saving the entire file in data and in original - one is the thumbnail (so you can zoom in and out of your library on the fly) and one is the full size although yes, if you modify it, it saves both - so that you can revert if you need to. And yes, you should use iPhoto to resize, crop, rotate etc. Just leave it open and hide it when you're not using it. If you're only doing a small part and don't want them in iPhoto, open the image in preview and take a screen grab of the part you want.

Film roll wise, you don't have to leave them in individual rolls. You can create new rolls to drag images into (and rename them), you can combine rolls, you can split rolls. It's pretty flexible.

You can batch change the date and time on pictures too once they're in iPhoto and change them all from 2005 to the correct hour/minute in 2006.

Incidentally, the Finder is perfectly capable of showing thumbnails. Just click on the appropriate viewing option and you'll get 128x128 thumbnails to look at.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Ummm, Vista duplicates your edited images just like iPhoto does.

... and for the exact same reason: so you can revert back to the original image in case you bung up the image when you edit it.

Vista does have a cool feature where it can be set to delete modified originals at some point in the future (maybe iPhoto 7 will get that too), but for a period of time, you're going to have multiple copies of edited images floating around in Vista too.

And FWIW, Vista's photo gallery saves a thumnail copy of your image somewhere too. ;)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 93

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sounds like the OP's main issue is disk space, and the fact that they are using iPhoto absolutely wrong. . If you had a larger disk, having multiple working copies of photos wouldn't be an issue.

It's not Apples or OS X's fault that you didn't take the time to learn how these applications work. Take the advice of Applespider. If you can't handle iPhoto, use another program to view / preview photos that isn't database driven. If you need a DB driven application look into Lightroom or something else from Adobe.

From what I can tell, when you delete a photo from within iPhoto itself, it deletes all other iPhoto copies. One thing you can do is import your photos, edit them, and drag them out of the iPhoto application to a directory you want to save them. After you archived the copy you want (from dragging it out of iPhoto), then delete the copies within the iphoto application, as opposed to using the finder. That way you only have one copy, and the edited copy you want to keep in the end, copied to the location you wanted to save it in.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
so when you want to print or upload all of them you are jumping back and forth from modified to originals.:mad:
with vista, you tag a photo and it pulls it up quickly when you search for it.
and it keeps them together.
No.

When you want to upload a picture, when the browser pops open the "File Upload" finder window, don't go manually looking for the picture.

Instead, open iPhoto, find the picture, then drag the picture to the "File Upload" finder window, drop it, and press Enter (or click OK). You'll see the correct path to the picture filled in the browser for you.

dont you hate how iPhoto creates a whole new roll everytime you want to add one photo at a time? you have to remember which roll its in:mad:
I'm guessing this makes you mad because your manually looking thru folders to find pictures. Using the method above, I can't think of any reason why you would ever need to manually hunt for a picture using Finder.

and dont you hate how when you are looking at the picture files, it cant show a thumbnail view, so you can see what all the files are before you click them
my old windows 2000 computer showed pics in thumbnail view (before XP and that means ancient)
For specific instructions on advice already given in this thread, next time you're in a Finder window, set it to Icon view, right-click on a blank part of the window, click on Show View Options, and then click Show Icon Preview.

I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like when you've enabled it.

Huh?

You can do that in any program.

Press CTRL-Shift-Command-4, move your mouse to the top-left of the thing you want to "crop", then hold the mouse button down as you move to the bottom right of the area. Release the mouse button when your "crop box" looks fine. That puts the image in your buffer, ready for you to paste it.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I get the idea that after looking at this guy's posts that he is some troll. every post he has has some little comment about how he cannot wait for Vista.

No..people on here "don't just hate" iPhoto. It is a world-class, award winning consumer level photo organization software. It is the reason why MS is basically copying the entire thing for Vista.

Oh yeah, Vista is going to blow away Mac OS X. Hackers have already begun to tear Vista to shreds, and its not even available to the public yet.

And, these reasons are from the fanboy himself as to why Vista is not any comparison to OS X
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_07.asp
MS engineers have simply no attention to detail in their design.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Guys, it's because of responses to these threads that trolls propagate. If no one responded to the obviously stupid things they say, they'd get no satisfaction out of stirring things up.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
i'm not a troll.
i just have issues with mac and thing i miss about windows

but then again there are things i will miss about my macbook too.
two finger scrolling will be hard to part with.
but if i they change one thing about iPhoto, i hope its the way it arranges pics in finder.
that's all.
my gripe is that i bought it thinking oh its this great media machine and its not.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
i used to hate iphoto myself, until i finally figured out how to use it. the way it arranged files in the finder does take some getting used to though...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
i'm not a troll.
i just have issues with mac and thing i miss about windows

but then again there are things i will miss about my macbook too.
two finger scrolling will be hard to part with.
but if i they change one thing about iPhoto, i hope its the way it arranges pics in finder.
that's all.
my gripe is that i bought it thinking oh its this great media machine and its not.
Argh.

It sounds more like you bought a sports car with a standard transmission (which you don't know how to drive) thinking that it'd be fast car, and a few days later, you're complaining that it won't go very fast when the issue is you haven't learned how to shift it out of first gear yet.

The problem you're having with iPhoto is that you're trying to use it like a Windows application. It's not. I can't think of a reason why you'd ever need to use Finder to find your image files. Simply drag the image from iPhoto to wherever it needs to go. That's it.

I almost feed sad for you that you're going to go to Vista and continue to manually organize your images into folders so when you upload them (or whatever) you can quickly browse to with Windows Explorer. What a freaking needless waste of your time. Since you haven't taken the time to figure out how iPhoto can make your life easier, at least you won't miss the difference. Hopefully you're not dealing with 1000's of images.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
no.

I'm delighted with the way iPhoto manages my digital photo collection.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
maybe read the manual or learn how to use it before piping off about how it sucks. sounds like the other posts explain how to do things.

of course, it sounds like you are waiting on bated breath for vista.

if that's the case, sell your macbook to someone who knows what they are doing and continue to wallow in the god for saken world of windows :)

happy new year!

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
So you don't get iPhoto. Then do not use it. What does iPhoto have to do with "how a Mac handles photos"? You are not a macbook user like you claim, you are a troll. Get a clue (or a life, depending what is easiest for you).

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
maybe read the manual or learn how to use it before piping off about how it sucks. sounds like the other posts explain how to do things.

of course, it sounds like you are waiting on bated breath for vista.

if that's the case, sell your macbook to someone who knows what they are doing and continue to wallow in the god for saken world of windows :)

happy new year!

Yeah, I second that.

Dave :)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
i used to hate iphoto myself, until i finally figured out how to use it. the way it arranged files in the finder does take some getting used to though...

Same here. Now i use it for everything.

To the OP:

Do you manage your music collection manually too or do you let iTunes do that?

iPhoto works the same as iTunes but with images not music. Once you let it do its thing and you manage your files within iPhoto and not the finder it is a delight to use. I havent touched my 'Pictures' folder for 3 years and I have over 6000 images on my system.

Give it time.

gothiquegirrl

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Planet Earth
Since I'm new to Mac..

Yes, the iphoto program does frustrate me a bit. However, O haven't taken the time to learn it. I have an older Imac ( G3 ) and so i have decided to just manually add my photos to an external drive for now. I plan on buying a new imac and so I'll just wait till it comes in before i learn iphoto.

That being said.. Again I manually add my photos to a file and use finder to search them just I have do in XP. I then edit them in Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe Photoshop. I don't even use iphoto.

it's a bit inconvient.. but that's how i do it in Windows.. so I can't complain too much.

I love my Mac! and I don't think Windows is gonna be near as nice as even Tiger seems to be. I'm not even speaking of the upcoming release of OS 10.5 .

The only real complaint i have with how my Mac handles photos is that only a few of my JPG's show up as thumbnails in Finder. the majority don't show up unless i choose the split column option and manually click on the file. This is probably because I am not using iphoto.. or i am doing something else wrong.

Ang

quangdiggity

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
Columbus, OH
and when i add photos the camera has a date file on it (everyday is 1/1/2005 to my dad's camera because he always changes the batteries and he never sets the date) so when it adds photos with that date on them, it upts them in a 2005 folder:confused: regardless of when it was added to iPhoto
Set the correct date on the camera. The camera shouldn't lose its date when changing the battery--unless you change the clock battery. Doesn't it make more sense to organize photos by the date they were captured, rather than the date they were uploaded to the computer? What do you do when you go on a long vacation and you have several weeks (or days) of photos to upload?

Uhh... You're supposed to browse photos through iPhotos interface. It's the same concept as iTunes.

you cant reverse the image.
you cant shrink the size of an image
all you can do is common functions
Try exporting the image. You get options for rescaling. You can crop and copy. Edit the image and crop it. Click Done. Now click Edit->Copy. For more advanced editing features, you can edit the photo in an external editor. You can set external editor in iPhoto's preferences.

The way of doing things in Mac and Windows is slightly different. Mac focuses on workflows and the tools are streamlined for specific workflows. Windows doesn't focus on workflows, so you end up doing everything manually with an unfocused tool. You can try doing things on the Mac the old Windows way, but you'll find that it is very inefficient. It's hard to break old habits, but just try giving the Mac way a little patience.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Set the correct date on the camera. The camera shouldn't lose its date when changing the battery--unless you change the clock battery. Doesn't it make more sense to organize photos by the date they were captured, rather than the date they were uploaded to the computer? What do you do when you go on a long vacation and you have several weeks (or days) of photos to upload?
That's a very good point for the OP as Vista's Windows Picture Gallery uses the dates of the images to organize them very much the same way that that iPhoto does.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 907

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
cant wait for the new vista i'm getting. its going to blow OSX away FOR SURE.

I wonder if this guy knows the difference between iPhoto and Mac OS X. He hates Macs because iPhoto will not overwrite an original image file.

Why not just buy Adobe Photoshop elements and be happy. You don't need to buy Vista and a new computer. In fact if you buy a Wacom graphics tablet you will get a "free" copy of Elements

Disk drives are now selling for about $0.60 per gigabyte. If each image copy is 2.5MB in size then you can store 400 per gigabyte. This works to 666 images per dollar. If you have three copies of each one plus a backup copy of all three. It still costs less than a penny per image. Next year this will drop to 0.75 cents per image.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
iTunes and iPhoto both organize files in ways that are convenient for people who aren't interested in creating complex file trees.

I have to disagree. You can make quite complex filing systems with iPhoto. I keep images organized using multiple filing systems. Like the public library does -- they have one stack of books and three card catalogs. I keep more then three catalogs.

You can do a lot with smart albums and nested folders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.