Does anyone else hate when people cover the glowing apple with stickers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SuperSnake2012, Apr 24, 2006.

1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    It's almost like they are ashamed of having an Apple and are trying to cover it up. :eek:

Too bad everyone knows Apple for having white hardware. :D :p
  2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    its not that bad is it? Like having a "darwin" walking fish on your car?
  3. macEfan macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    It almost defeats the point of having an apple computer, but We cant controll what they think, so we should just let them be.
  4. jmurphy macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2006
    Sandusky, OH
    I've never even seen that in my life. Is it common?
  5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    Eh... it bothers me a little, not so much that the logo is covered as there is a stick on the computer. Im very particular about things like this (everything must be neat) (some call me OCD) :p
  6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2005
    Ew. I've never seen that. Annoying. Who would mess up the awesome Apple with a hideous sticker?? :eek:
    Although, I have seen someone cover a Dell logo w/ an Apple sticker.... ;) :)
  7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    They do it a lot in adverts over here for some reason. They have no qualms with other manufacturers, but with PowerBooks (other Macs don't tend to feature), they always put a black octogon over the Apple :confused: The only other 2 times I've seen people do that were a friend who put "designed for windows XP" and "graphics by ATi" on his PB100 and another friend who did it to hide the light source (warchalking, I think it was)
  8. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004

My favorite (as in the one that annoys me the most) is when they put post-it notes on the back of the computer (or laptop screen) to hide the Apple logo. As if anyone really leaves post-it notes for themselves on the back of the computer!

Makes you wonder why some shows will show the logo and others won't. Does Apple have a pre-approval process for its use?

I have been disturbed to see every character on Everwood switch away from Macs. As if a whole town was taken over by Windows over the winter hiatis. :)
  9. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    Same thing on 24. For the first few seasons they used all Apple machines. Even Elisha Cuthbert had an iMac. :cool: But now they use all HPs and Dells. :eek:
  10. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I've seen users on flickr and other places who have stickers all over their PB. I can't stand that! The beauty of the Apple Computer is its cleanliness and simplicity.
  11. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    They're a bit too mainstream now. The more popular they get, the less product placement you'll see because they'll lose their "it" factor.
  12. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2003
    i wouldnt put anything sticky on my powerbook. its almost 3 years old and could still pass for mint condition. the coolest part (one of the coolest parts) is the pulsing sleep button/latch and how the apple glows when you open it, no way id cover it up!
  13. Vrasteophwaaagh, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

Vrasteophwaaagh macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just did a search for the topic and this was the relevant discussion.

Some of us want to hide the glowing apple not to obscure the fact we own a Mac but because the light might disturb other people. I've been looking for an appropriate sticker for that very reason.

I don't care whether the sticker is apple-shaped or not (though an apple-shaped sticker would be less obtrusive design-wise). I just want my girlfriend to be able to sleep while I'm writing.

And no, I no longer have the Apple sticker that came with my MBP -- otherwise, I might try blackening it with a magic marker. I've moved twice since buying my MBP in 2012.
  14. ideal.dreams macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2010
    Nothing looks classier than magic marker on a $2,000 laptop.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    Doesn't bother me to see stickers on a MacBook. It's your laptop and you can do whatever you want to it.
  16. Renzatic macrumors G3

Aug 3, 2011
    Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I never have understood why some people put an Apple logo wallpaper on their computer, when they have the giant glowing logo just on the opposite side of it.

It's like they want you to know you're using an Apple and can see the Apple from all sides, so no matter which side of the Apple you're standing on, you can still see the Apple.

Though to be fair, I think the same thing of people who use Windows logo wallpapers.
  17. Jonathan7877 macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2009
    I always notice it on movies... I believe for example "I Love You, Man" had mostly all the Apple logos covered. Never seen it on a personal laptop except now with that commercial going into play.
  18. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I used to abhor the idea of "blemishing" my computers with stickers and the like, but if anyone has ever seen the pictures I've posted here of my eMac, you can see I've definitely started leaning a bit towards the other side. ;)

People can do what they want to their computers, but there is such a thing as "tasteful decoration", and it seems most laptops I see with stickers don't just have one or a few smaller ones, they're pretty much plastered with all different shapes, sizes and colors. It's like wallpapering your car with bumper stickers; it just looks ugly and unattractive no matter what they say or look like. :confused:
  19. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I actually like a number of decals that I've seen on MBPs. To each his own, they're like tattoos, some people hate them and others like them. The people who hate them shouldn't just those who like them.
  20. chown33 macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2009
    I googled for macbook decal and found a bunch of vendors. The Decal Guru has a zillion, and some are completely opaque. Of the $5 ones, I liked the Owl Attack one better than Batman Symbol, but either would work to blot out most of the light. I also liked the Bonsai Tree design, and it can be placed to block most of the lit logo.

Finding opaque decals or stickers will be harder, because most are designed to either use the apple shape itself as part of the design (e.g. the Apple In A Hand one), or to mask out parts while leaving other parts that shine through (e.g. the Ironman decals that have the lit part show through in a new silhouette).

You could buy a larger opaque decal and cut it down to any shape you want. You could also visit a crafts store like Michael's and see what they have in opaque film. The decals with an existing design are likely more easily removable than an opaque film you'd have to glue on.

If you're handy with scissors or an Xacto knife, black duct tape can be found at a Home Depot or Lowe's.
  21. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

Dec 10, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I used a vinyl cutter to cut out a decal that's in the shape of the Apple logo (looks more natural), but has a logo/design cut out of the center. It's pretty cool because this makes the inside design light up.

22. G51989 macrumors 68030

Feb 25, 2012
    NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
  23. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    Please explain why anyone would care what someone else does to their devices.

How does that effect me that I should give a sweet tinker's damn that someone puts a sticker on their mac.?
  24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, USA
  25. DeltaMac macrumors 603

Jul 30, 2003
    The glow in the Apple is from the screen backlight, so that's easily done…
    Turn the display brightness all the way down. (That takes care of that. :D )
    Oh … I get it now!

But, I vote for a nice slice of duck tape on the apple when I occasionally use my MB in less-bright locations.
    It is not important to me what others may think about that...