Does anyone else keep their phone on silent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 22, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

I can't stand the sounds that come on the phone, that's one aspect of jailbreaking I need to take advantage of

2. macrumors 6502

numberforty1

Maybe you should make , and or download some new tones, or ringtones.

How many sounds come on your phone?? Maybe re-work your notification centre preferences too.

To answer your question, I only keep my phone on silent when I am at work, because that's the rule.

3. macrumors 68040

bandofbrothers

For me, never.

I have downloaded the sounds I like for the alerts I can change.

One thing that does annoy me is not being able o choose how i want to be alerted over a Facebook update.

4. macrumors regular

i leave on silent all the time, i have the dial tone when i dial number to call

5. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

only at night

6. macrumors regular

My phone's on silent all of the time, except on rare occasions where I'm expecting a super important call. And for those times, I've created my own ring tone.

7. macrumors regular

My phone stays on silent 24-7!

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

Is that because you find the iPhone sounds annoying?

9. macrumors 65816

shenfrey

I have silent on when i need it to be on. At night i have do no disturb on as its far superior to silent.

Also, this forum needs a quick reply.

10. macrumors regular

I work nights so mine stays on silent.

11. macrumors 65816

designs216

I consider blaring cell phones to be rude, so mine's set to silent most of the time. This way, I don't have to remember to turn it down at work or other places.

12. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I thought I was the only one! Even then when I'm expecting a call I just pay more attention to my phone

13. macrumors 68000

VulchR

I always keep it on silent. I find other people's ringtones rather annoying frankly. Besides, in iOS one can assign custom vibrations to different callers, so one needn't have a different ringtone for each person.

14. macrumors 65816

kylera

I heard my phone's ringtone for the first time after I started listening to music on it. Before that, the first thing I did the moment my phone was activated was to flip the silent switch.

15. macrumors 601

The Game 161

only when I go to bed and the rare time I'm in a meeting or something. but I do get alot of twitter notifications so sometimes if i'm getting alot i put it on silent if i'm with family.

16. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Same. My Phone is always with me so I don't need it blurting out.

17. Guest

I understand what you're saying about the sounds.

They've been the same for years now and often provoke various memories and thoughts

18. macrumors regular

jettrue

I use a silent ringtone for default, then custom ringtones for the select few I don't want to miss. Then do not disturb at night, with exceptions for the select few I don't want to miss. :D I also tried using loud ringtones for my customs, so that I can turn down the phone volume and my alerts are relatively quiet. Works for me.

19. macrumors 6502a

I suspect whether you're married with kids, or not, has much do do with the answer. :)

20. macrumors regular

no. but i have to personal ringtones. 1. being a 'silent' ringtone and... 2. a general ringtone. thus i use the 'silent' ringtone as my default ringtone. and only a select few a ringtone that creates sound.

all without jail breaking the device.

21. macrumors regular

serkan

My girlfriend does it all the time and I hate it because I have to ring her millions of times to pick up :D

22. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Thought such as "Shut the **** up!" when you're in a meeting or quiet area :D

23. macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Always on vibrate. I've never once turned on a ring or anything else tone. Since iPhone 3 :)

24. macrumors regular

I keep my phone on silent at work or any other quiet places (church, waiting rooms etc)

Sometimes I will put it on silent when I'm having a text convo and the alert tone starts to get annoying.

I also keep it on silent around friends. (They are nosy)

25. macrumors 68020

macingman

I never need to have it on sound. The phone is either close to me or in my pocket so I can always hear the vibrate. If it turn sound on I may forget to turn in off before class in which case I would be screwed.