1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Does anyone else's iMac G5 (iSight) have a noisy cd-rom drive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by milky23, Nov 13, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

Hey there.

It seems like when ever I do a cold boot and a CD is in my drive, it vibrates and makes a nasty noise until I eject the CD-rom. It's almost as if its not balanced inside and it makes a rather loud racket. The drive itself is noisy anyway, when watching DVDs its always clicking and sputtering and doing all sorts of nonsense. Anyone else?

2. macrumors 68000

Danksi

Mine can be noisy whilst watching a movie.

3. macrumors regular

My dual 2 ghz does the exact same thing. Kinda like a grinding sound. Called Apple and they said it's just a faulty drive... everything still works but I'm too lazy to get it fixed right now.

4. macrumors regular

Do you think Apple would be apt to send me a replacement if the drive is in fact, defective? Do you think they would be agreeable to let me continue to use the computer until I received the replacement? This is my main computer now so it would be extremely inconvenient to lose it for so long. Your thoughts?

5. macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Yup. They will do that no problem. They'll send a new one out and then contact you again with in 5 days to arrange pick up of the old machine.
    I loved having two dual 2.7Ghz G5's in my room... :D

6. macrumors regular

Wow, that sounds almost too good to be true. :)
    Thanks!

7. macrumors member

Mine is very quiet, id say its the quitest dvd writer ive ever owned and ive had a few.

8. macrumors regular

Argh. I'm on the phone with AppleCare right now and it looks like they won't send me a replacement

I'm going to have to drive a ways to the nearest service provider... urgh.

9. macrumors newbie

My drive is rather noisy. I am going to contact Apple care.

How loud is acceptable, and how loud is not? Mine is a quiet roar, while docking, and a chainsaw when loading.