Does *anyone* hate their Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ChrisH3677, Dec 6, 2003.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

You always here PC users grumbling about their computers eg "Computers! Can't live with them can't live without them." or "I'm sure we were better off before computers" or "#$*!@ computers!"

I don't seem to hear Mac users talking like that. Is that true? Do Mac users for the most part enjoy using them?

Does any Mac user actually hate it? and use it grudgingly?

I'm really starting to see what I was missing for the last 20 years!

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the only mac people you would have ever heard that from would be the few unlucky powerbook 5300 series owners that had cracked cases and the 1 or 2 that had them actually catch on fire as there was some connection/over heating issue with the hard disks as I understand it.

imagine leaving the room for a snack or drink and coming back to find your powerbook on fire! ah! :)

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd just return with some marshmallows, Hershey bars, and graham crackers. :D

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

These days the only people that hate mac that i personally know are the people that don't use them ...

they tell me the they break ... i tell them the quote i have in my SIG

"the mac is idiot proof. If you can break it, it proves your an idiot."

That usually shuts them up

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've always loved all my Macs. I suppose I did have a bit of contempt for my old Performa, but as any Performa owner can attest to, who didn't? Printing was a nightmare with that machine. It would always freeze, no matter what. I would just put my file on a disk and print it at school or something. Also, I remember one night after typing a six page paper it freezing on me (something it did quite often). Of course, I hadn't saved it, and proceded to violently attack the computer. I guess it was my fault though. I was stuck with that machine for five years. As much suffering as it did give me, it was my first computer, my first Mac, and I loved it.

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I had a performa 6400/180 before my blue and white. printed fine. never any problems at all really. it was stolen from me :( my aunt felt so bad for me that she helped me buy my new one. this was summer 99 so I got the 350MHz Blue G3 Rev. 2 and am still using it. this is by far the best computer I have owned. so reliable that it has been on 24/7 since summer 99 and only ever shut down to put in the upgraded components listed in my sig. never had one problem with it that wasn't my fault.

7. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I've only ever hated my Mac every time it totaly crashed and forced me to re-install OS + software. Oh wait, that was my pc :p

Haven't (yet) found any good reasons to hate it. The only things that bothers me is the relatively regular kernal panics on my Rev D iMac (it may be bad memory?). But who could hate a cute lil' iMac?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I hated my Wallstreet PowerBook G3/233. It was absolutely no faster than my Mac clone with 225 MHz 604e. The passive display, bad graphics hardware, and lack of L2 cache meant that it couldn't do much in the way of graphics processing.

I've obviously gotten over it and have bought two desktop machines from Apple since then.

9. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I started out with Apple in the 80's, went to Windows when I HAD to. Now I'm back to mac's and just chuckle everytime I start it up. It's just marvelous. With Windows I never knew "who" I was going to find that day. My Mac is like an old friend. Faithful, consistant, and loads of fun. I still use Windows for work, and must admit that XP is tons better than anything before, but it's nowhere in the Mac League!!!

Frank

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have a Powerbook 5300C, it works like a charm, expect for the battery being dead. I even took it with me on vacation and played SIM Tower. Its come in handy at Model UN conferences where laptops are key.

11. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I hated that little piece of junk and thought I would never own another laptop again. Fortunately, I tried my luck with an iBook and found that I love modern Mac laptops. Amazingly, I miss my 5300cs terribly. I've been looking into getting one on eBay just for nostalgia.

Dan

12. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

Obviously not all of them had problems, most didn't. They are the most troublesome mac model in history though.. desktop or laptop.

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I love my old PowerBook G3 (Lombard), I find myself switching to it every once in a while for some OS 9 lovin' since I have had so many great years with that PowerBook that it is what got me so in love with the Mac community in the first place.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Your the only other person that actuasly likes sim tower I spent far to long on that game I took my ibook to a M.U.N. confrence it was soo cool the people representing america had a dell and it crashed during there presentation he he he. my teacher had his tibook russia never looked so good :)

15. cubist macrumors 68020

The B&W G3 may well be the most reliable computer ever made. I'd like to see a survey sometime.

My custom-built PC suddenly said this morning that its hard drive no longer exists. The machine is only a few months old and was built with top-quality parts, yet it's always been quirky.

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

17. Potus macrumors 6502

Nope. It was love at first sight w/my lil' SE (which still works like a charm, btw) and it's been like that ever since. My 15" iMac (first iteration) is great and my old blueberry iBook (now sporting Panther and playing iTunes on my personal network) is by far the purchase that has given me the most bang for my buck and the most fun. I just luv that lil' baby. (BTW, the handle was a brilliant design thingamajibby. I don't care if it looks like a purse. I pretend I'm Italian.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I dislike using my parent's iMac. I've grown accustomed to resolutions higher than 1024x768, and decent speed. That said, I don't hate it, it currently holds second place in uptime, after my brother's Gentoo box. Maybe I do this when they get a new computer in 4 or 5 years.

19. nspeds macrumors member

I guess its because I'm forced to like products that I shell out huge amounts of cash for...

Well honestly, my mac feels new everytime I look and start it up.

When I have a new PC, after a week, it feels like the system is the same old routine and I get used to it. When I look at my mac, it feels like the very first day I pulled it out of my box.

PC's some how have a feeling that they get slower and slower as I use them, with my mac, I don't get that feeling at all!

I am frustrated at times by some incompatibilities, but the age has gone where they were huge, this incompatibilities are just small quirks that have to be worked around in a lot more steps than usual, but that's about it.

20. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Windows gets slower with time because of the dang registry that is a nasty mess of stuff that you install and uninstall that never fully gets deleted and such and it all slowly causes Windows to become a tangle of bottlenecks.

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

One remark that only a Mac user can make....

gr8!

:)

22. TangyToad macrumors newbie

I kinda hated my lombard 333 that I got for free last year, because it was brutally slow with OS X and that was the only reason I wanted it. It was the first mac that I owned, but I knew that I liked OS X even though it was so slow on that machine. Then I picked up a G4 Cube. Free macs rule. I have a whole bunch now.

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Try running OS 9 on your Lombard, it really flies on mine.

24. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

hey thinking positive

25. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I remember I used to sit in front of my LC 3 and play SIM tower all day. But, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get past a 3 star level.