Does anyone have a Stocked powermaC G5

Discussion in 'Community' started by barneygumble, May 29, 2005.

1. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    I am wondering if anyone actually has a powermac with 8GB of ram and/or dual 30 inch displays. I keep hearing people tout that a powermac can do this but has anyone actually done it?
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    It's an exotic beast but it's out there. I believe Lowry Digital Images has about 80 or so of them PowerMacs loaded with 8GB RAM each.
  3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    And why would you think it couldn't?

The architechture supports 8GB RAM. Adding huge amounts of RAM takes nothing away from the system.

The displays are run from the graphics card. Using two requires a powerful card and adding this card takes nothing away from the system.

I see no reason whatever to doubt Apple's stated limits on these items.
  4. barneygumble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    I know it can run it, i like to think i am not stupid, it is just that i have never heard anyone on this board have 8GB of ram or two 30 inch displays so i was just asking if anyone was actually using the full potential of these great machines

I guess what i am asking is does anyone have the!!! dream Mac. The one we would all kill to have. And if they do please provide your address and times when you won't be there :)
  5. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i think someone mentioned once having 7GB or something. it's probably more likely there'll be people with 8GB of RAM because that costs ~$800, assuming $100 per stick, while 2 30" are $3k each plus a $500 video card :eek:
  6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I have only heard of one 8 GB RAM PowerMac but it kept rejecting it so he went down to 4 GB...
  7. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    A guy posted his Dual 2.0 PM with 8 gigs of ram for sale in our own Eporium once. I believe it was a Rev. A model.

He wanted craaaaazzzy money for it - I think he got the ram from Apple!
  8. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    ouch - that has got to hurt the wallet!