Does anyone have a USB Blu Ray drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onirocdarb, Jul 25, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I am looking for a USB blu ray player I can hook up to my computer but the ones I have seen on Amazon say that they are only compatible on windows. The speed doesn't really matter to me. If you could tell me what brand and model it is that would be great!

2. macrumors 68000

phrehdd

Check out MacMall and OWC.

I have an external from the latter and it offers both FW and USB2 etc.

3. macrumors regular

I have a plextor USB blu ray frive connected to my iMac. I'm not sure what the model number is. As long as you have the right software, it works fine.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 68000

rocknblogger

I have an LG that works great. It's USB 3.0 and it was basically plug and play. The only thing you need it's a Blu-ray player app to decode the stream from the player because OSX does not have and never will have, a codec for Blu-ray.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

How much did yours cost?
    Also I plan on ripping the discs and putting them on my ipad or on my apple tv. It should work with MakeMKV and then encoded to .mp4 with handbrake, right?

7. macrumors 68000

rocknblogger

If you're asking me, mine was a bit pricey because I wanted read/write capabilities. I also prefer to spend a bit more to get good quality. When I bought it it was on sale at $139, it's $169 now but it really is a fantastic device and works flawlessly with my rMBP.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-BE14NU40-E...7&sr=8-12&keywords=lg+external+blu-ray+burner

8. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

I have this one from Amazon, it's $35 and works fine for ripping Blu-Ray and DVD discs - which is all I've ever used it for.

http://amzn.com/B001QA2Y9S

9. macrumors member

Yep, thats what I do, works fine just takes a few hours to do.

10. macrumors 65816

marzer

I just recently picked up one of these to use with my iMac. Very nice unit if you only need blu ray play capability. This seller was reliable and the unit was in very good condition. And it matches the aluminum finish of the Mac very well. Been using it to rip BDs with Handbrake.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/531372-555-HP-USB-2-0-Blu-Ray...

P.S. From my experience, any standard USB optical drive will work with OS X. Even the ones that list only Windows compatibility.

11. macrumors 68000

rocknblogger

+1 Any USB drive should work.

12. macrumors 6502

I bought one off ebay for $20, works great.

I opened it up and its a hitachi drive in a generic enclosure. So unless you have bad luck, most USB drives will work.

13. macrumors 68030

fhall1

14. macrumors 6502

I picked up my blu-ray from OWC. I use firewire (partly so I can daisy chain it, partly because I do not have USB3 or a free USB2 port) but it has multiple interfaces. including USB. I did splurge a bit on it and bought a high-priced model but there are cheep ones there as well.

15. macrumors 68020

Acorn