Does anyone have one of the rev.B MBP's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nate4747, May 30, 2006.

1. Nate4747 macrumors regular

So I'm wondering if anyone has one of the revision B MBP's that were announced when the MB was.

If you have one, does it have the major issues? Whine, moo? I know it wasn't a big update, but I haven't heard from anyone with one of these books and I'm curious to know if they have fixed issues under the hood. Thanks.

2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

There were no update, and no rev. B MBP's. Same MBP, just removed the 1.83 version and lowered the price.

3. Nate4747 thread starter macrumors regular

Which is a revision.

If someone could just answer the question that would be cool. Technicalities aside, I just want an answer from someone who has one. Thanks.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

This is just the same as every Power Mac G5 revision except the move from AGP to PCIe. All of them were just speed bumps until the move to PCIe / dual core.

To the OP yes I ordered 1 I'm still waiting on delivery though I'm expecting it any day now and I'll report back when it arrives. MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100 GB HDD.

5. solidbreakz macrumors regular

um...which actually ISN'T a revision.

If you could just chill out that would be cool too. This is a forum, not a one-on-one Qn'A session. People here are going to chime in, on tangent--get used to it. Technicalities can NOT be aside in this case. Temujin is absolutely spot on, except for one oversight: the logic board on the MBP has undergone 5 minor revisions. All the components are the same except for the dump of the dual 1.83.

Want some good responses? Advice: Honey works better than vinegar.

6. Nate4747 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice, I'll await an answer. Hopefully some of the issues have been ironed out. The 2GHz is the same model I'm looking at. Did you get the glossy or matte screen?

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I went with the matte but after seeing the glossy on the MacBooks I kind of wish I'd gone with glossy. ;)

8. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Mine should be in this week too, and I would like to hear from someone who already has one too.
    I ordered the 2.0 with the glossy screen.

9. Nate4747 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems like people are evenly divided on the glossy/matte decision. Personally I think I'm going to choose glossy, because the MacBook I'm using right now has made me fall in love with glossy screens. I can't imagine using matte now; the matte desktop LCD I have makes me want to throw up when I look at it.

10. codo macrumors 6502

ha! Fantastic.

Matte just looks dull in comparison, really. I have that sludge green XP theme on one of my PCs, and the matte screen really brings out its sludgyness...

I haven’t seen the MacBook's screen in person, but a glossy I've used before wasn’t a problem at all with the whole light reflection thing when using head on - From an angle, it looked dodgy.

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The only time I'd had any exposure to glossy notebook screens was during a roll out at work recently for 3000+ Acer notebooks these machines had what I'd consider to be mirrors on them and this put me off ordering glossy. After I ordered I actually got my hands on a MacBook and was amazed at how much better the glossy screen Apple uses was compared to Acer. Oh well I have 4 LCD displays (monitors/HD TVs) none are glossy no reason to rock the boat now. :D

12. solidbreakz macrumors regular

[edit]removed my last comment because I actually remembered what a bad taste the thread creator left in my mouth after his initial response when this thread was started last spring. Waste of my time.... [/edit]

Revised comment: I bought a CD MBP (whatever rev. you want to call it) [so I actually have one now].....and it kicks major butt. Take it how you will---buy what'cha want.

time to close this one mods....

13. sturigdson macrumors regular

I'm a new grad student- studying film. Wanted to pick up a MBP revB for school, but found I couldn't hold out any longer. At the end of last month, I bucked up and picked up the 2.16GHz 15" - our school has recommended systems that bundle AppleCare for free, in addition to the education price.

With these savings, I figured I'd survive whatever woes may come from this being a RevA machine - meaning that even if all the problems haven't been resolved, I was gambling that it's late enough that at least a significant amount of them have been ironed out.

I have to say- I haven't experienced any problems what so ever. Hot, yes. Slow under rosetta, yes. occassional program crashes- yes- but nothing I haven't experienced with either of my ibooks or my G4 tower.

Simply put, it's quite a dream machine. I couldn't be happier. If you need the machine [like I did] and can't wait any longer for the rev B [like I couldn't], it's probably a good time to buy. I should note that my machine's serial number on chipmunk.nl tells me that it was built in production week 37- September. So this is quite a recent system.

Also- I went with matte. I really don't believe the hype about the shinies- and I don't have any problems with matte. Sticking to what I know and love.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you always ask for help, and then act like a smartass when someone tries to help you (and then answer your own question, no less)? :confused:

15. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Yes he does but then so do quite a few people on this site.

16. solidbreakz macrumors regular

nothing that can't se solved by either:

- repairing permissions in Disk Utility...
    - reinstalling the application...
    - Archiving & Installing the OS...
    - Backing up and Erase & Installing the OS and software...

what that is, is nothing more than a software issue.. No crashes here :D

17. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

So true, think it's an age thing.

Oh and thanks for the backup solidbreakz :)

18. generik macrumors 601

generik

Says who?

It is ok, we are too hot to be cool, especially with the MBPs.

I just want to say no thanks.

19. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I have a MBP that fits your specs (purchased after the MB were released)- see my signature for model... it has a very slight whine (only audible in a very quiet room), otherwise its amazing