Does anyone here do mechanical design?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by treysmay, Aug 1, 2005.

1. treysmay macrumors regular

treysmay

I am seriously pursuing and learning how to use Solid works, at my uncle’s special effects company. The downfall being, it is only on PC, so I have been researching a good replacement. The closest I have come is Vector works, but from what I hear it may not be much the same. If you are interested into what I want to do, I will be doing prototyping for plastic and metal machining. So here come the questions.
    -will it run at all on virtual pc?
    -is vector works near the level of solid works?

2. bm7at81 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I really think you might be a bit stuck as far as CAD/CAM goes on the MAC! Im an Aerospace Engineer and mainly use Catia V5, but have also used AutoCaD, Microstation, Solid Works and Rhinocerous 3.0 ... none of which are available on mac! .... Solid works is an excellent program and i really dont think Vector Works can live up to it as far as rendering power goes...

Although i have heeard the VectorWorks is a great program and very comparable to AutoCad, it just wouldnt be able to perform to the same standard as solid works using its renderworks engine.

Have a look at this website - www.novedge.com - as it gives a good run down of the major CAD/CAM apps for Mac...

Honestly though, youd be better off getting a dedicated PC for the design work if you are happy and able to spend the time now using Solid Works rather than trying to run it on Virtual PC... If you want a comparison, Virt PC on my PB runs the equiv of a P2- 300 Mhz processor... i wouldnt dream of trying to do any 3D design/modelling on a PC with those specs!!

Good Luck!

3. treysmay thread starter macrumors regular

treysmay

thanks alot man, I do have a pc at home
    I just didnt want to pack it in my tiny apartment. so i guess i just have to learn on the holidays. but thanks for the reply, I really appreciate that :D

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I use unigraphics, solidwords, and pro/engineer. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to intel powerbooks.

5. St Soichiro macrumors regular

I agree with bm7at81. Get a dedicated PC. My research group uses Macs exclusively except for Solid Works and Autocad. Not very happy about it, but it the best current option.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Thanks for linking to dead forums.

Anyway, there are no viable Mac substitutes for SolidWorks and AutoCAD. They run fine under virtualization, they run better natively via Boot Camp or on a PC.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Agreed. If you're using SolidWorks in 3D, you're either going to have to run Boot Camp or bring along your PC.

8. spslokesh macrumors newbie

Does anyone here do mechanical design?

Hi,I am sps lokesh.I have designed a tremolo bridge for electrical guitars. I came up with the concept a couple years ago. Second prototype a few months ago and working on 3rd prototype at the present. Well its not a musical instrument but it is a Rolls Royce approach to a problem.
    ==================
    Electrical Components Manufacturer