Does anyone here have a perfect fit when putting their ibook keybaord back on?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WillMak, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #1
    I took off my keyboard to install new ram a long time ago. Now looking back, I realise that my keyboard isn't perfectly put back in place. The left side seems like it's slighlty higher than normal. when I say slighly I mena just a little itsy bitsy bit. I tried putting it back in multipole times but I can't seem to get a perfect fit back in. What I mean by perfect fit is that whjen I flick the right release keyboard switch it shoots back perfeclty in place. When I do it to the left side it only goes back perfectly in the slot about 25% of the time. The other 75% it misses by hitting above the slot which indicates the keybaord is slightly higher on the left side. For those who hqave taken their keyboard off, how did you guys get a perfect fit back in. No matter how hard I try I can only seem to get it in with the left side being just a tad tad higher.
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    Sorry, but like everything Apple, mine just works.

    Have you made sure the little ribbon thing was tucked away nicely?
     
  3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #3
    Oh yea, I checked it, Besides, the ribbons more on the right side. so it's not eh cause of it. I'm just being really nit picky right now. I can close the keyboard fine, I'm just being paranoid that the little rise will scratch the lcd or something even tho it's barely noticable. Well, if anyone knows a solultion to set the keyboard perfectly...
     
  4. ravenvii macrumors 604

    ravenvii

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    Location:
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    #4
    I once had that problem with my old G3 iBook. Opened it up to put in the AirPort and additional 512 MB of RAM, and couldn't get the keyboard to close quite right. Incidentally, (and perhaps related), a couple weeks later, one of the F-keys popped off and disappeared (probably vacationing in the Caribbean drinking a martini on a beach for all I know). I went to the Apple Store to see if they have a extra key. Happens that they do, and the Genius put it on, and then re-seated the keyboard so it's perfectly seated again. I never tried to open it up again during my ownership of it :D
     
  5. MacHarne macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia, U.S.A.
    #5
    My father's iBook's keyboard is perfect. 'Twas the same with my former G3 as well. Since the iBooks dissipate heat from the keyboard, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it fitting fully flush, unless, of course, it is very skewed.
     
  6. Arcus macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location:
    of my hand will get me slapped.
    #6
    Ive taken mine off at least five or six times and it goes back on perfectly.
     
  7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

    mjstew33

    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Illinois
    #7
    OK, yeah, i opened my brand new iBook just for the hell of it, and i noticed it didn't go back down all the way, so i pushed it down with some pressure and snapped in place, you should try this.
     
  8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #8
    It may take a few attempts but it is definatly possible to re-seat the keyboard perfectly, just keep trying until you are successful,

    SHadow ;)
     
  9. adamjaskie macrumors member

    #9
    Make sure it's pressed good and tight at the bottom, both down and in. After I installed my RAM, it took me a while to get the keyboard right until I realised I wasn't pushing it in hard enough at the bottom. It will go in without being seated perfectly at the bottom, but the top edge will be tight, and the corners will want to pop up.
     
  10. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2003
    #10
    make sure the little round magnets arn't standing on end at the top of the keyboard
     
  11. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

    xli_ne

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Center of the Nation
    #11
    ya those things can be a pain. Id say as long as its not pushing up on the screen, it should be fine.
     
  12. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #12
    Yea I'm going to give up because it seems to just be a minor nuisance. The rise is only like 3/4 the size of a mm anyway (lol yes small) It might even be due to a minor manufactuer's defect so being able to seat it perfectly might not even be possible. Since it's not pushing against the screen no big deal.
     

Share This Page