Does anyone here have quicktime Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

If you do have it, can you let me know if the quality of the feeds are better and any features you think are noticeable, especially in relation to the $29 I would pay for it.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

just to comment that even with qt pro, i think i'm right in saying that you can't save yesterdays keynote stream.. it just saves a wrapper .mov - ie, a shortcut to the stream.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

that's correct for some reason apple does not like us having the keynotes :rolleyes:

i am sure there are ways but i'm not getting into that here

5. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Just for the full screen feature alone, the QT Pro upgrade is totally worth the $30.

6. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Use VLC. It's free, does fullscreen (and more), and plays everything that QT does.

BTW, if you put a mov file into Keynote, it will play full screen.

7. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Really? Can VLC export and compress video files? Can it work with flip4mac to convert wmv9 movies to quicktime files??

I'd agree that spending $29 to watch videos full screen is a waste, but QT does much much more than that... I really don't understand why apple has full screen as a pro option, it should be part of the free version.

9. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

lol. someone needs a chill pill :p

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

VLC is not an alternative to QuickTime Pro. Essentially, the only point of VLC is to play movies full screen, which iTunes does anyway so there isn't even a point to VLC for me.

There is more to QT Pro than that.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

hehe:D . please!:p

12. bluesixer macrumors newbie

QT Pro is a hose...

Perhaps there's aspects of QT Pro that I just don't get, but it's always struck me as a hose - especially when there are free plug-ins or alternatives to QT that work quite nicely and don't cost a dime. I eventually got so sick of QT hitting me up for that $29 upgrade that I made VLC Player my default player for all video files including .mov files.

And don't get me started on QT wanting $20 to enable MPEG-2 playback...

Homey don't play that.

13. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

He said VLC plays everything that QT plays, not that it can do everything.

Btw. You can also watch video files in full screen using Front Row.

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You pay the "Apple tax" to get OSX, and then on top of it you pay $30 to get something as lame as "full screen"?!

Does the few lines of code it takes to resize the video cost so much to write? To add insult to injury Windows Media Player just does it... for FREE! As with every other freely available media player on the planet!

Let's just be honest with ourselves, Apple is not charging for the "Pro" features because they are genuinely good, they are charging for every tiny bit of functionality because they can.

Quicktime Pro is definitely not worth it, biggest rip off I've ever seen in my life. 1/2 the price of iLife, 1/4 the price of Leopard, and for what it offers it is waaaaaay overpriced.

I'd pay $3, that's all.

15. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

QT Pro is also a pretty good video clip editor. Together with iMovie it makes a nice combo for those of us just editing home video clips. It's pretty intuitive too. I'd never used it before but cut down the DVD of a skydive I did and it worked pretty well.

It's also good for re-encoding stuff for various different platforms and formats.

Overall, for $30 I'd say it's a good buy.

16. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I wouldn't even pay that. Seriously no full-screen in Quicktime Players sucks.

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I agree, it's ridiculous. Macs are miles ahead of PCs when it comes to playing videos, except for that one critical point.

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Full screen video playback is available inside both iTunes and Front Row.

19. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

What hacked me off about quicktime was when I started using iMovie, and to upload the blasted videos I made to youtube, I had to buy QuickTime Pro. :mad: