Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
If you do have it, can you let me know if the quality of the feeds are better and any features you think are noticeable, especially in relation to the $29 I would pay for it.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
just to comment that even with qt pro, i think i'm right in saying that you can't save yesterdays keynote stream.. it just saves a wrapper .mov - ie, a shortcut to the stream.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
just to comment that even with qt pro, i think i'm right in saying that you can't save yesterdays keynote stream.. it just saves a wrapper .mov - ie, a shortcut to the stream.

that's correct for some reason apple does not like us having the keynotes :rolleyes:

i am sure there are ways but i'm not getting into that here

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Use VLC. It's free, does fullscreen (and more), and plays everything that QT does.

BTW, if you put a mov file into Keynote, it will play full screen.

Really? Can VLC export and compress video files? Can it work with flip4mac to convert wmv9 movies to quicktime files??

I'd agree that spending $29 to watch videos full screen is a waste, but QT does much much more than that... I really don't understand why apple has full screen as a pro option, it should be part of the free version.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Use VLC. It's free, does fullscreen (and more), and plays everything that QT does.

VLC is not an alternative to QuickTime Pro. Essentially, the only point of VLC is to play movies full screen, which iTunes does anyway so there isn't even a point to VLC for me.

There is more to QT Pro than that.

bluesixer

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2007
QT Pro is a hose...

Perhaps there's aspects of QT Pro that I just don't get, but it's always struck me as a hose - especially when there are free plug-ins or alternatives to QT that work quite nicely and don't cost a dime. I eventually got so sick of QT hitting me up for that $29 upgrade that I made VLC Player my default player for all video files including .mov files.

And don't get me started on QT wanting $20 to enable MPEG-2 playback...

Homey don't play that.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Really? Can VLC export and compress video files? Can it work with flip4mac to convert wmv9 movies to quicktime files??

He said VLC plays everything that QT plays, not that it can do everything.

Btw. You can also watch video files in full screen using Front Row.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Just for the full screen feature alone, the QT Pro upgrade is totally worth the $30.

You pay the "Apple tax" to get OSX, and then on top of it you pay $30 to get something as lame as "full screen"?!

Does the few lines of code it takes to resize the video cost so much to write? To add insult to injury Windows Media Player just does it... for FREE! As with every other freely available media player on the planet!

Let's just be honest with ourselves, Apple is not charging for the "Pro" features because they are genuinely good, they are charging for every tiny bit of functionality because they can.

Quicktime Pro is definitely not worth it, biggest rip off I've ever seen in my life. 1/2 the price of iLife, 1/4 the price of Leopard, and for what it offers it is waaaaaay overpriced.

I'd pay $3, that's all.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
QT Pro is also a pretty good video clip editor. Together with iMovie it makes a nice combo for those of us just editing home video clips. It's pretty intuitive too. I'd never used it before but cut down the DVD of a skydive I did and it worked pretty well.

It's also good for re-encoding stuff for various different platforms and formats.

Overall, for $30 I'd say it's a good buy.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I wouldn't even pay that. Seriously no full-screen in Quicktime Players sucks.

I agree, it's ridiculous. Macs are miles ahead of PCs when it comes to playing videos, except for that one critical point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.