Does anyone here know how to make a render farm for CAD stuff?

Discussion in 'Community' started by johnbro23, May 23, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I've got this really involved project I've been working on for a month or so and I'm starting to make a video of it in Autodesk 3D Viz. It takes about 5 minutes to render one frame, so I can't even imagine what it will take to render an entire 3-5 minute film. My teacher said he thinks we can make a render farm and connect all the computers in the room (24) to render one movie.

Does anyone know how to do it? All computers are networked, so I don't know if that will help or not. Unless I let it render over a weekend, I think the render farm is my only option.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Have you checked with Autodesk themselves? You're running this on PCs, so its not a Mac issue, right?

5 minutes a frame and 5 minutes of video gives you a total of 750 hours of rendering :D One thing you might want to do is make it 15 fps instead of 30 and you'd cut that time down to 375 which is a little more manageable. Also, if you can just distribute the animation on 5 of the machines and have each one just do 1 minute you'd end up with only 150 hours or 75 hours at 15fps.

Good luck,

D

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what you're saying about the 5 machines, is that what they would call a render farm? Because I thought a render farm meant all the computers worked on the same thing at once.

Also, wouldn't you be left with 5 one minute chunks? I guess you could fix that in final cut or something, but I'd rather not bother with that.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its a cluge for sure, but if Autodesk doesn't support the render farm, you'd have a much easier time just distributing it manually between the machines. And if you render it not as a movie, but as individual frames, you can always pick up where you left off, so you don't have to worry about letting it run on a machine until it finishes.

I do this all the time when I'm rendering an animation - I'm not going to set something up for 100 hour render and risk losing power and everything I've done. And you can use FCP or QT to import the image sequence and convert it to a movie. So if the machines are all on a network, you could even have them save the files to the same directory and you wouldn't even have to transfer anything.

D