Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey Emerson! Long time no talk. :) You were talking about Tai-Chi. I was thinking of taking a Tai-Chi class whenever I get up to Georgia State University in the fall. But, I'm wondering...Does this require someone to be in great physical shape or have prior Martial Arts training? I figured Tai-Chi would be a great way to deal with the stresses of Atlanta and College.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I have before and think it can be a great benefit. I wish I made time more often for it. Also, keep in mind that not all meditation is tied to eastern religions/new age spirituality. Christian meditation is a bit different... instead of trying to clear one's mind completely, it is more of a focusing on one truth or Scripture repeatedly.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
All religions start as cults ... the word cult has be bastardized by the media to mean something negative because the only time it is used is when describing organizations dealing with doomsday.

cults are just new religious movements - wicca, scientology, pentacostals all have status BUT are still called cults

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Heb1228 said:
Christian meditation is a bit different... instead of trying to clear one's mind completely, it is more of a focusing on one truth or Scripture repeatedly.
Wow, that's self suggestion and indoctrination in practice. Sounds unhealthy. :eek:

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
revenuee said:
All religions start as cults ... the word cult has be bastardized by the media to mean something negative because the only time it is used is when describing organizations dealing with doomsday.

cults are just new religious movements - wicca, scientology, pentacostals all have status BUT are still called cults
You bring up several valid points. Many religions were considered cults at their beginnings and some for long times afterward. I think a more precise usage of the term means a group that has broken off or separated from another larger, more recognized group.

For instance, Christianity was considered a cult as a division of 1st century Judaism.

'Cult' does have a bad connotation, but we must be careful to evaluate the truth claims of any religion/belief system on its own merits and not by pejorative dismissal.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
gekko513 said:
Wow, that's self suggestion and indoctrination in practice. Sounds unhealthy. :eek:
I'm not sure how any type of meditation is different from self-suggestion. You'll have to explain the difference to me.

Indoctrination? If by that, you mean that the teachings (doctrines) of the Bible are reaffirmed and allowed to take root in our way of thinking, then I suppose yes, it is. And as a Christian, I believe thats a good thing.

You don't have to agree. I was simply being descriptive in my original post, not necessarily asking you to try it.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Frozone said:
Hey Emerson! Long time no talk. :) You were talking about Tai-Chi. I was thinking of taking a Tai-Chi class whenever I get up to Georgia State University in the fall. But, I'm wondering...Does this require someone to be in great physical shape or have prior Martial Arts training? I figured Tai-Chi would be a great way to deal with the stresses of Atlanta and College.

Joe Joey Joseph! Good to hear from you :). I was working on college apps the other day and it made me thing of you.

No, you don't have to be in good physical shape at all. And you're in plenty good shape. Don't worry about that. Tai Chi would be an excellent way of dealing with your stresses. Having said that, nothing beats getting out there and talking to someone about your stresses though. Venting is the best way to deal with stress, IMO. If you ever need someone to vent to, me and everyone else at MR would love to help you :D.

e

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Heb1228 said:
I'm not sure how any type of meditation is different from self-suggestion. You'll have to explain the difference to me.

Indoctrination? If by that, you mean that the teachings (doctrines) of the Bible are reaffirmed and allowed to take root in our way of thinking, then I suppose yes, it is. And as a Christian, I believe thats a good thing.

You don't have to agree. I was simply being descriptive in my original post, not necessarily asking you to try it.
My understanding of meditation is that the goal is to open up your mind, look at things from other perspectives, associate freely and try to travel through previously untraveled brain paths.

The Christian versioned you described seemed like the opposite.

Reaffirming any doctrine based on uncritical repetition is also known as brain washing and I don't believe that can be a good thing.

And I'm glad we seem to be able to keep the discussion civil at this point. :) I'm just expressing my thoughts on this, I don't expect you to agree or accept my view as the truth either.

Edit: Maybe I have the mediation thing backwards. The repeating of mantras, staying focused and clearing ones mind that I also have heard meditation is all about isn't exactly the same as free association, is it?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
gekko513 said:
My understanding of meditation is that the goal is to open up your mind, look at things from other perspectives, associate freely and try to travel through previously untraveled brain paths.

The Christian versioned you described seemed like the opposite.
Which was exactly my point in my first post. :D Although I thought most eastern styles of meditation aimed at complete clearing of the mind... not exactly what you're describing as 'opening the mind.' But then I'm no expert on the issue.

gekko513 said:
Reaffirming any doctrine based on uncritical repetition is also known as brain washing and I don't believe that can be a good thing.
But, on the other hand, if I have critically examined the Bible and still believe it to be true, then repeating/meditating on it is merely a constant reminder and reaffirmation of that truth.

But you are right when you say they are, in may ways, very opposite ideas.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You when I say "but thats another story"... well here's an actual story.

I used to meditate. Only did it 3-4 times though. Never found the spare time, or it was just too noisy with my siblings around. But from time to time I'd squeeze in a little 30 minute meditation. They always spruced me up somehow, I felt so alive afterwards. I knew I could have become addicted if I did it more. but I suddenly stopped for some very eerie reasons.

Around the time of the meditation, one of my mates stopped turning up at school. On the 3rd day I said to my mate Tom jokingly "ah, his brother probably had an accident". Anywho. Turns out he actually was hit by a car on a drunken night out. Died in hospital. It wasn't until that finally sunk in that I realised what I told Tom and he sorted looked at me "get back! demon!" or something.

But then it got a lot more spooky. One night I went through the usual pre-meditation rigmarole. Cleaned up my room. Shut cupboard and wardrobe doors, moved all the chairs under the desk etc. Understand me! It's like I have OCD when it comes to keeping my room sorted and clean.
So I'm trying my hardest to meditate. My mind just isn't letting go. Just doesn't feel right at all. But I try. 8 minutes in I give up.

then my stomach just sunk and my whole body tingled.

A chair, one without wheels, had moved from under the desk to about 2 feet away from me... facing me. I just went all flushed. like I was going to faint. Then I noticed 2 wardrobe doors open.
I have no idea what happened. I mean other strange things have happened in this house. This being the most obvious.

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
scem0 said:
Joe Joey Joseph! Good to hear from you :). I was working on college apps the other day and it made me thing of you.

No, you don't have to be in good physical shape at all. And you're in plenty good shape. Don't worry about that. Tai Chi would be an excellent way of dealing with your stresses. Having said that, nothing beats getting out there and talking to someone about your stresses though. Venting is the best way to deal with stress, IMO. If you ever need someone to vent to, me and everyone else at MR would love to help you :D.

e

Alright, maybe I'll give Tai-Chi a try then. Hopefully it will do me some good. And I fully agree about the talking thing. Sometimes it's great to just tell someone everything that's on your mind.

BTW, where all are you applying?

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
njmac said:
I checked out the wikipedia article on TM and some believe it is a cult :eek:

Meditation is not a cult. SOME people look on meditation as being a form of connecting with a god or gods or divine being, but most certainly it is not restriced to that. As I said earlier, I am not religious, and use meditation to gain clarity and focus. I think the opinions above sort that out. ;)

Meditation is scientifically proven to change the way your brain works (in a good way), by changing the brainwaves that occur in your brain all of the time. There are different 'states' of consciousness. By state I mean, sometime you are extremely attentive, which could be the alpha state, where the brain waves are fast and very short. Sleep occurs at different levels (ie. light sleep/deep sleep), moving through different types of brain-waves. Meditation changes the brain waves to a slow, long wave, thus relaxing the body and allowing the brain to REST. Even during sleep, your brain does not REST to its full ability. But during meditation, it gives it some time out, leaving you clear-minded and attentive.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
jaduffy108 said:
>>> Shamus...i'm sure you mean well..but...Transcendental Meditation as taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi can NOT be learned from a book or the web according to TM teachers and Maharishi himself. Now..as someone who practiced TM, the TM-Siddhis program, attended MIU, etc, etc..for nearly 10 years...way, WAY back when...TM would NOT be *my* recommendation, but it isn't a "bad" choice either. To learn TM from an official TM teacher costs a LOT of money. Regarding TM and religion...that is a HOTLY debated issue, (the NJ Court case, etc, etc)..as the mantras used in the practice of TM **ARE** in fact "bija" mantras used in Hindu tantric practices...primarily Goddess worship. The Srividya tradition in particular. As someone who is deeply involved in tantric practice...there is absolutely no doubt that TM is derived from Hindu tantric practice and therefore has religious connections..whether the meditator is consciously aware of what he/she is doing or not. Imagine someone repeating the Lord's Prayer, but unaware of the meaning of what they're saying...AND... being lied to regarding the meaning of what they're saying..*THAT* is TM in a nutshell. There is a website that lists the TM mantras..http://minet.org/mantras.html
with "commentary" that gives one the impression that TM could easily be practiced from info gathered on the net. I say..maybe, but maybe not. Just one example of many, learning TM from a book skips the "puja" (ceremony) which is another HUGE clue as to TM's spiritual heritage. When Maharishi was asked about receiving the mantra without the puja (like from the net or a book)...Maharishi replied.."the mantra is dead". Very delicate thing. If one wishes to practice meditation without any "religious" connections...I strongly recommend simply "watching" the breath..a deeply profound practice. Mantras can be added such "so-ham", etc..but these do bring philosophical / religious implications into play...though these mantras add tremendous power too!

peace

PS: For those that may be interested in going deeper into an evolving meditation practice, i highly, highly recommend:
Ammachi http://www.amma.org
Karunamayi http://www.karunamayi.org
Sri Aurobindo
Andrew Cohen http://www.andrewcohen.org ...or http://www.wie.org
Tsoknyi Rinpoche

More Christian based:
Beatrice Bruteau

Interesting comments, you obviously know alot about meditation. :) Through this thread, I am merely trying to introduce people to meditation, in whichever form they please. If they believe that it is connected with God, or religious practices, then they are free to do so. That is the fantastic thing about meditation, it is so versatile and flexible. I cant understand why wether meditation is religious or not would be a hotly debated case, because I believe it should be up to the person meditating to make the decision.

There are many forms of meditation. I am sure not all NEED to be taught by a meditation guru, because I have simply read books and articles on the internet, and I am able to meditate. (On that note, I will add that you would probably get more out of meditation if you were taught.) I live about 300km from the nearest 'big city', (good old Australia), so unfortunately have not been able to take lessons on meditation.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
~Shard~ said:
Can we please not turn this into a religious debate? Please save these types of discussions for the appropriate Forums. :cool:

Here here. I did not mean this forum to get into a debate about religion. But by all means, feel free to discuss/express what connections with religion you make with meditation. :cool:

I am glad to see quite a few people meditate! :) The comments on here so far have been great! Brilliant ways of putting your opinion and perpective of meditation into words. :)

camphorsunrise

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006
Lex Vegas, KY
I try to meditate at least 3 or 4 times a week, although lately I haven't been able to find the time and I've definitely suffered for it. There's a really cool program out there on Vipassana meditation, it's a free 10-day residential crash course, a big commitment (complete silence with no outside communication for 10 days) but it's something that I'd like to do. They have centers all over the place, if you're interested here's the link: http://www.dhamma.org

aaand here's what Vipassana is, just in case it hasn't been mentioned: Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is one of India's most ancient techniques of meditation. It was taught in India more than 2500 years ago as a universal remedy for universal ills, i.e., an Art of Living. (Filched from their site.)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
raggedjimmi said:
You when I say "but thats another story"... well here's an actual story.

I used to meditate. Only did it 3-4 times though. Never found the spare time, or it was just too noisy with my siblings around. But from time to time I'd squeeze in a little 30 minute meditation. They always spruced me up somehow, I felt so alive afterwards. I knew I could have become addicted if I did it more. but I suddenly stopped for some very eerie reasons.

Around the time of the meditation, one of my mates stopped turning up at school. On the 3rd day I said to my mate Tom jokingly "ah, his brother probably had an accident". Anywho. Turns out he actually was hit by a car on a drunken night out. Died in hospital. It wasn't until that finally sunk in that I realised what I told Tom and he sorted looked at me "get back! demon!" or something.

But then it got a lot more spooky. One night I went through the usual pre-meditation rigmarole. Cleaned up my room. Shut cupboard and wardrobe doors, moved all the chairs under the desk etc. Understand me! It's like I have OCD when it comes to keeping my room sorted and clean.
So I'm trying my hardest to meditate. My mind just isn't letting go. Just doesn't feel right at all. But I try. 8 minutes in I give up.

then my stomach just sunk and my whole body tingled.

A chair, one without wheels, had moved from under the desk to about 2 feet away from me... facing me. I just went all flushed. like I was going to faint. Then I noticed 2 wardrobe doors open.
I have no idea what happened. I mean other strange things have happened in this house. This being the most obvious.

If this experience was a bit too much for you and creeped you out, then fine, but if you would like to learn more about the true nature of what you were probably experiencing, please PM me, as I believe I could shed some light on your experiences. If you would rather just leave it alone and forget about it, that's completely understandable. :) :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Stella said:
I'd really like OBE... mediation can help with that.

OBE is very cool, and is quite fascinating when you understand the underlying facts about what it really is. I have experienced this myself. :cool:

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Frozone said:
Alright, maybe I'll give Tai-Chi a try then. Hopefully it will do me some good. And I fully agree about the talking thing. Sometimes it's great to just tell someone everything that's on your mind.

BTW, where all are you applying?

Just the University of Texas. I know I can get in, and I think it's the right school for me.

e

khammack

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2004
Portland, OR
I came to meditation through martial arts ~1990. We use it to focus before Aikido practice. I use it from time to time when I need to focus, but not regularly (outside of practice).

-kev

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
~Shard~ said:
OBE is very cool, and is quite fascinating when you understand the underlying facts about what it really is. I have experienced this myself. :cool:

What is OBE? Sounds interesting. :)

EDIT: Looked it up on google. How do you achieve OBE?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Shamus said:
What is OBE? Sounds interesting. :)

EDIT: Looked it up on google. How do you achieve OBE?

It's not something you can really control, unless you have really great focus, so, like all lot of these other phenomena, it's not a guarantee. ;) It a;; ties into the same principle though of letting your mind open up, and touching on the unused potential and abilities we all have, yet never use... :cool:

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Shamus said:
Interesting comments, you obviously know alot about meditation. :)

>>> Like anthing else...if one dedicates multiple hours per day to a practice, study and discipline, one generally attains some degree of mastery in that pursuit. "Yogic" meditation has been that for me for the last 30 years..living in ashrams in India and Nepal for long periods of time, etc. One's understanding of the potential of the practice evolves(!) through the practice. I was a militant athiest when I began TM at 15 years old in 1976. :)

Shamus:
Through this thread, I am merely trying to introduce people to meditation, in whichever form they please. If they believe that it is connected with God, or religious practices, then they are free to do so. That is the fantastic thing about meditation, it is so versatile and flexible.

>>> And i commend you for doing so! Meditation is a path to immeasurable "wealth". I sincerely hope I'm not giving the impression that I feel there is only one way to practice meditation...far from it. I've hung out with whirling dervishes and Sufi mystics to naked sadhus in cremation grounds.

Shamus:
I cant understand why whether meditation is religious or not would be a hotly debated case, because I believe it should be up to the person meditating to make the decision.

>>> And in the case of "TM", that is precisely the point. While it isn't "wrong" to use the terms "Transcendental Meditation" as an umbrella over a wide variety of meditation practices...generally...in "meditation circles"..."TM" refers to something very specific. Big topic to cover in an forum!, but...as to that specific practice called "TM" invented by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi...he is teaching a form of meditation that uses mantras called bija mantras...*potentially* very powerful, but FULL of "religious" connections. But since the mantras do not have semantic meaning...anyone who hasn't studied and / or been initiated into a tantric tradition will not realize their "meaning" on the surface. Here's the rub. TM teachers tell people the mantras are meaningless sounds with NO religious connections whatsoever. By not telling the truth, TM teachers eliminate the possibility..as you say, for the person..."to make a decision"...an informed decision. They make a decision based on a lie. Back in the 70's, the TM org was making a LOT of money..based on this "non-religious" form of meditation...and were even teaching TM in the schools. Some Christian groups found out of TM's "heritage"..the mantras, the puja(!) and freaked out. They took the TM org to court in New Jersey and won the case EASILY...showing TM to be a religious practice. The judge said, "putting a sign on a cow that says "pig", does not make a cow, a pig." Many people felt betrayed and lied to..and they were right. Similar to my Lord's Prayer analogy...through TM, people were invoking Hindu goddesses...unknowingly. I didn't mind...I liked it. :) I can site innumerable examples that prove TM's religious connections if you would like..but I'll spare you now. The tantric traditions are like universal religions, but that is *my* understanding. It isn't right to impose that on others or mislead through lies.

Shamus:
There are many forms of meditation. I am sure not all NEED to be taught by a meditation guru, because I have simply read books and articles on the internet, and I am able to meditate.

>>> It is an easy argument to make..that meditation is natural to everyone..that one can learn from books, etc, etc. (Then again, you are already turning to "outside" sources to learn..aren't you???) And though there are exceptions, the VAST, VAST, VAST majority of people will eventually see the absolute necessity of a "guru"...ooooh...the "g" word. :)
Here's my two cents...the path to realizing the Truth of Existence(!)...to master one's mind, etc... is the most challenging path in life there is..yet no one hesitates to acknowledge the benefit of going to college to master lesser challenges. Yet..for Self Realization..the hardest thing...suddenly it's..."i don't need a teacher." To master Physics is FAR easier than Self Realization...doesn't that say to you.. how much more wise it would be to seek the guidance of one who has attained the goal of Self Realization? What does it say to you...that 99.999999% of every recognized, Self Realized Master in India's/Nepal's history strongly(!) recommended having a Guru..a teacher? Honestly, the issue really is that people do not understand the Guru/disciple relationship..they see it as slavery, etc. That is non-sense. Spend one minute with Ammachi or Karunamayi..and you will know what i'm talking about. On the spiritual path of Self Realization..one must choose whether to embrace new age, self-help, Yoga Journal magazine meditation..OR.... radical transformation meditation. Do you know the difference? I think you might really enjoy "What is Enlightenment" magazine. Ken Wilber...wow.

(On that note, I will add that you would probably get more out of meditation if you were taught.) I live about 300km from the nearest 'big city', (good old Australia), so unfortunately have not been able to take lessons on meditation.

>>> Everything happens as it should....distance isn't the slightest barrier for a Guru/disciple relationship. As the saying goes..."No need to seek the Guru, for when one is ready..the Guru will find you!" Just as you started this thread to introduce people to meditation...I'm trying to introduce that there's more to meditation than stress release and relaxation...that's barely the tip of the iceberg. Dive deep!

peace,
james

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.