does anyone here play the Scottish bagpipes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by phreakout13, Dec 24, 2004.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

I can't stop listening to Scottish bagpipe music, and I was wondering if anyone here played played a bagpipe. I'm thinking of buying a practice chanter, and would appreciate some links and advice and such. Thanks!

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wish I could help you, but something about making a sound from a wind instrument while not blowing into just seems so foreign to me :p

Of course, I personally enjoy the sound of bagpipes, both Scottish (Highland) and Irish (I forget the other name for them) pipes.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Haha I'm a smoker. So bagpipes are out for me, not that I have any musical ability anyway.

Three years ago I was in Scotland, and at one of the scenic overlooks (or whatever it is they call them over there) there happened to be a piper dressed up in full regalia, puffing away as happy as he could be. Maybe it was the thin air, or the thrill of being in a foreign and romantic country, but I ended up dropping a £5 note in his bucket.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No but my little cousin does. He started with a chanter and just learned the fingering for the basic marches etc to start with before being promoted to the windbag!

I'm seeing him over the Christmas holiday so I'll ask him if he knows of any good websites.

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

NO.

And theres a damn good reason too. ;)
    (stragled cat anyone?)