Does anyone here take diet pills?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotnina, Feb 12, 2005.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Does anyone here take diet pills like TrimSpa, Xenadrine, Hydroxycut, etc.? What are your experiences with these?

Here's why I'm asking ... I'm thinking about taking ephedra-free TrimSpa (in fact, I already bought it), but I've been too weary to try it yet. I really hate the idea of diet pills, but for about 8 weeks now I've been working out about 4 hours a week and eating a low-calorie diet, but I've seen little difference, aside from an increase in strength / endurance and a 1% drop in body fat. I know what I'm doing here -- I watch resistance levels, heart rate, etc. to make sure I'm getting a good workout. I'm as puzzled as anyone else why nothing is happening, so lo, last resort to increase energy / help me eat even less: diet pill.

So if you have experiences with any of these, TrimSpa especially, do tell. :)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

TrimSpa

You don't need it.

From their website:
    "These results are not typical. X32 may not work for everyone. Average weight loss achieved after 8 weeks using X32 with a reduced calorie diet and exercise was between .6 to .8 pounds per week based on the interim results of an ongoing clinical study."

Give it more time...

0.6 to 0.8 pounds per week or anything up to 1 pound per week is a safe amount to lose and what you would lose anyway naturally. Cut sugars & fats like butter right down... By training you are also building muscle. Don't forget that your weight can vary day to day by anything up to 4-5 pounds depending on hydration levels... not eating after 8pm & going to bed slightly hungry will help you lose weight. It puts a strain on your body if you go for rapid weight loss... try going for a week to 10 days with just fruit, nuts & veggies with a little fish. Snack on raw carrots etc. Drink plenty of water...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know people who have tried trimspa and hydroxycut, but they didnt do anything for any of them, they are mainly marketing that uses the fine print, which as Blue stated, the results are not typical, hardly anyone loses the weight with pills like this that they show in the commercials, i would just stick to what you are doing, reduce the fatty bad foods and sugars in your diet and keep a good workout going, it will be the best thing for you in the long run, just be sure to get all the essentials that you need in your diet

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Here's a couple of things to remember about working out (which I really,really, need to start doing again)
    1. Muscle weighs more than fat. So don't worry if you're not losing weight as fast as you want.
    2. Low calorie doesn't work. Why, you ask? Because your body adapts to the low calorie thing. Try 2 days low calorie, then one day high calorie then drop back to low calorie . Vary the way you do this, and I bet you will see results. What happens is on the day you eat high calorie, your bodys metabolism speeds up, and stays sped up for a day or two (that's why you drop back to low calorie after 1 day).

Of course my info is a few years old and may be out of date, so you may want to double check it. Good luck. :D

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Diet pills do not work. period.

If you want to lose weight, the ONLY thing that works is if you exercise (that means sweating) for at least 45 minutes a day. You need to raise your metabolism in order to lose weight, while maintaining your current diet. If you restrict your food intake, you will make losing weight harder.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When you are working out, stop looking at the scale to see if there is weight loss.

Use the tape measure an various points on your body, you should see fat loss in key areas.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I've never taken any diet pills. As a nurse my recommendation would be that you only take them under the supervision of your physician. Please get advice from a health professional. Many of the diet pills can have heart and/or circulatory complications.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can vouch for this. I've got a track meet coming up in a few weeks so I've been training heaps since Christmas such that I've packed on a chunky 8kg! I've never felt better. According to the BMI system I'm obese... :cool:

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

A number of diet pills work by increasing your metabolism and get you mildly addicted to the drug so you keep on taking it.

Don't take them. Do it the old-fashioned way (gasp! oh, dear, not that insanity!)

1. Work out
    2. Eat right

That food pyramid works! Don't eat a lot of fats and instead eat fruits, veggies, etc. And working out? Heck, get up early and run for 20 minutes, take a shower, and then start your day. Works great.

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

try eating 6 small meals a day...after awhile your metabolism will tear through things like crazy, and a big meal no and then is good too to jump start it again if you plateau

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

4 hours a week is not enough exercise, no matter the intensity.

I did 4 hours of exercise Saturday alone (2 hiking uphill/running w/dog, 2 ice hockey).

You need to do a minimum of 10 hours/week to see anything other than minor results.

Start with 1.5-2 hrs 4 days/wk at the gym. Keep your HR up during aerobics. Try upper body aerobics (heavy bag).

Don't forget to lift, and lift until it hurts. Focus on legs. Big legs burn beaucoup calories.

Do sports or hiking/biking on weekends.

12. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your comments everyone (even if they in no way address the question). ;) It worries me a little that nobody who has commented has experience with such pills, so I wonder how widespread their use really is? If anyone has used them, for better or worse, I'd like to hear about it. Two co-workers I had lost an unbelievable amount of girth with Xenadrine, so I know that such things can work, at least sometimes.

Since it seems to be the overwhelmingly popular decision here, I will hold off on taking anything for now, I guess. The main reason I haven't been working out more is that I can't find the energy with so few calories ... perhaps I will try upping the calories a little and then upping my workouts per psuedobrit's suggestion. I'm already doing the small-meal thing that Howard mentioned, and I am very anti-butter, anti-saturated fat, pro-water and pro-fruit like BV mentioned. :)

Anyway, I didn't want this to be a me-me-me thread, I was just curious about those pills. I appreciate the suggestions though. :)

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Bump your complex carb intake. I like to eat Kellog's Smart Start Soy Protein cereal with flax meal sprinkled on top an hour or two before exercise.

You may want to try different times to workout. Some people do better in the morning, others after work and still others later at night shortly before bedtime. Find your sweet spot and make working out a regular habit.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

nope and never will, i have a very slow metabolism but i am a vegan, just keep off the omega 6 fats and eat loads of omega 3 fats (fish wheat germ ect.).

i dont work out and never have and probably never will, if i want to et fiter i'll go for a run or do allot of housework

15. Einie macrumors newbie

did i get this right: You are a vegan and eat fish?

or are you just taking pills in order to get things right?

einie

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think he was just giving fish as an example.

I use flaxseed meal. It's orders of magnitude higher in omega-3 fatty acids than anything else. Walnuts and salmon are distant contenders.

17. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

don't take them...there's new research that bitter orange extract could have the same adverse health effects as ephedra.

besides they don't work that well, and make you hot and jittery.

if anything take CLA and Green Tea extracts as separate supplements...these would be better ideas.

Also take a calcium supplement, and you should be fine.

18. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well like i said earlier, i personally have never taken these pills, no need too, but my ex took Hydroxycut, it did nothing for her, except make her hyper, and she did work out a lot and tried to eat healthy, my ex boss used to take Trimspa, but she had no results as well

20. dxm113 macrumors member

Don't "waist" your time and money

IMHO. . .

Pills are a "waist" of money. Personally I've known a handful of people who have tried them without any substantial results. these people ranged from top-shape body-builders to out-of-shape middled aged men and women.

1) diet pills are not FDA regulated, who knows what's in that crap (mostly just caffeine anyway). point being, everybody though epedra was safe at first.

2) get a bottle of water, drink CONSTANTLY (you said you already do, but drink more - flushing your system: the more water you drink, the less you retain + get rid of toxins)

3) eat 6-8 smaller meals per day, raise you metabolism (graze & raise: think of it as adding kindling to ignite the fire, instead of trying to light the fire with a huge log)

4) continue excercising, try varying your cardio: walking, jogging, lifting, biking, swimming. there's no miracle pills, you gotta put some work in. Don't talk yourself outta excercising, your mind will quit before your body will

5) DON'T DO LO-CARB, DO LOW SUGAR (yes there's a difference: need to learn the difference between "good" and "bad" carbs)

6) Take a look at the Feb. Issue of "Muscle & Fitness" (popular magazine), there's great reference material for beginner's in terms of good dieting and working out.

7) There's no "right" way to excercise or eat, as long as you're being safe both in terms of eating and excercise habits. You gotta do something that works for you and your lifestyle. An important thing to note is that "getting in shape" is a lifestyle decision, not a diet or pill.

8) not sure here, but. . . if you're female, and you've changed from a higher calorie diet to a low calorie diet, your body thinks it's starving: holding on to every bit of nourishment and is storing it as fat. refer to tip 3 above.

9) it's a long, sometimes slow process. don't give up though. try changing up your workout routines: try lifting if you don't. Perhaps even try consulting a personal trainer.

10) back to lifting, cadio alone won't get you the results your after. the most effective way to burn fat is to build muscle

11) HAVE FUN WITH WORKING OUT. if the only reason you're working out is to look better, you probably will give up eventually. have fun, learn to challenge youself, and enjoy being healthy in general.

if you have any further questions, feel free to send me a personal message

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i dont eat fish but it's an example of a food that has the type of stuff that you need

22. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i had a friend who took diet pills but she wasnt very responsible about it and ended up needing medical help

just make sure u have a dietician who is licensed and a physician monitoring ur weight loss

23. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

The few-days-later-update … thanks everyone. :)

Frankly I don’t know what I was thinking … I guess I was really pessimistic this past week. I’m not going to take any of those pill things, and I’m taking psuedobrit’s advice about working out for 10+ hours a week. I'm definitely in shape enough to do that, and I do enjoy working out, but I guess I was just mad at scales last week. Sorry for the personal thread, and thanks for the kick-in-the-pants, everyone. :)

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Patience... sometimes it's easy to get downhearted when things don't go as quickly as you want. Keep your targets realistic -- you'll get there.

BTW: What happened to your avatar? The last one was one of my faves here on MR...

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Actually I've also read or heard somewhere that you won't lose much weight just by exercising and eating less alone. It has something to do with your blood's ph level. As long as you maintain a 7.36 ph level in your blood, you will have the ability to lose weight. Meaning you should limit the amount of acids in the body, which primarily are sugary foods, processed foods and negative thoughts and emotions. All can cause more acidity in your body.

To make yourself more alkaline, eat plenty of green vegetables, drink lots of water, and think and act more positively.