Does anyone here use Mac OS Server?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by princealfie, Apr 4, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I was wondering about the Mac OS Server. Is it something for household use? I am thinking that it could network every computer I own... :)

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Couldn't you network them anyway? You could use one as file server with sharing of relevant files.

3. hmmfe macrumors regular

I have 10.4 server running at my office. Server is not really intended for home use but that does not mean you can't use it at home. If you are going to use a lot of the network services, then using the server product is not a bad idea. Most of the things you can do with server you can do with OS X in general but the server version adds a GUI admin tool to make things easier.

From a geek perspective it is cool to tinker with OD and some of the cool client management tools, but it is really up to you.

4. Annon macrumors member

It depends on what you mean by network together. If you just want to share files, then don't bother. Just enable file sharing on one of the macs or get a network hard drive for network storage.

If you wanted to do network based logins with portable home directories, then you would want to use server.

The license is pretty steep, so I would say if you don't know if you should be using it, then you probably shouldn't be.

5. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Sounds good. I presume that the specs for mac os x server is lower than that for tiger?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Lower? No, the OS is pretty much identical. The main differences are that it includes some utilities that are helpful for managing multiple computers (including boot images, localized software update etc.); network servers for file sharing, Web, LDAP and so on are enabled out of the box; and it includes some nice GUI configuration toys so you don't have to muck with those files by hand, and so on.

If you aren't actually looking to set up a serious server, and don't have a sizable herd of Macs to mangle, there really isn't much there to justify the price.