does anyone know a fix to print from Classic on a USB printer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kyle Nerder, May 3, 2006.

1. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

I have a Mac Mini and it runs a accounting program in Classic mode. Everything works fine in Classic, but I can't print. I get error messages everytime. I can print no problem from 10.4.

After searching the entire interweb, I see everyone else has this problem.

My only way around it is to print to pdf in Classic and then print the pdf from 10.4.

I can print to the netwrok printer, but not my USB printer.

Does anyone know a fix to print directly from Classic mode?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

When asking for help with a peripheral, you should give the make and model number of your peripheral. This means that you should tell us which printer you are running.

To address your problem, you need a MacOS 9 print driver for your printer in order to print from Classic. Some manufacturers still supply them. Some don't. Of those that supply them, MacOS 9 driver are available only for some of their printers.

Go to the manufacturers web site. Check for a MacOS 9 driver for your printer. If none is available, use the MacOS 9 Desktop Printer Utility to create a virtual PostScript printer. Print your Classic document to a PostScript file. Open the PostScript file in Preview and print it from there.

3. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

The printer is a HP PSC 1210.

If I go to the HP site, they have a os9 installer, but no separate driver. I have run this printer off a old 333mhz iMac in OS9 and it worked fine.

The Classic mode is giving me troubles.

Currently I can print to PDF as a post script printer, but the lady that uses this computer isn't to strong with computers to grasp this concept.

4. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

My next question is...

How do I default a printer for classic? I wish to use my "print to PDF" printer as a default, instead of having to select it each time with chooser/

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I wouldn't be quick to crack on your co-worker. That MacOS 9 installer should install the MacOS 9 driver. The Chooser chooses the default printer for your MacOS 9 installation. You should have to do this only once. If you are using the driver for a hardware printer to generate PDF's, then you can save those settings. However, you should use a virtual printer to generate PDF's. Adobe Acrobat Pro 5/Distiller does this.