Does anyone know about FireWire networking

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mr.w, May 23, 2002.

1. macrumors regular

Could anyone explain to me how you would go about setting up a firewire network??? I would like to share files from computer to computer somewhat easily. I know i could just use a cable, a hub, and convert my computer into a server, but i don't really want to do all of that. I live in a dorm, and about 6 of my friends have apple computers and we want to connect them to eachother with a somewhat fast connection (file sharing system). We could use an AirPort station, but at best we could get 11mbs. I know that computers can be connected via firewire, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I'm under the impression that FireWire connect only works when you hold down some key (I forgot which one) during start-up... is this true?

Any thoughts

2. macrumors 65816

cleo

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Re: My thoughts

okay... how exactly would i go about switching it. Would i have to re-post it, or could i movve it somehow???

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: My thoughts

nevermind... i figured it out...... stupid me.

thanks

5. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

looks like Cleo isn't happy!

Check out a program called FireNet, it allows you to do Firewire networking, I am just looking at it, it is slower that 1000bs-t Ethernet network.

Ensign

6. thread starter macrumors regular

sweeeeet. that's exactly what i was looking for.

thanks