Does anyone know any more on the Wii's Gamecube compatibility?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I know this is a long shot but some people have played with real world Wiis on here.

Specifically I'd like to know if anyone's had the opportunity to play a GC game on a Wii and also whether the gamecube games can use the Wii's wireless network card as if it were the GC broadband adapter - For 8 player mariokart for example.

Like I said, I doubt anyone knows yet but I might as well ask. :)

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have no idea...but it would rock if Nintendo gave some NGC games online support!(If its even possible,) or online support for some Virtual Console games

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Also any one from the US/Canada who gets one, if you have Freeloader could you give it a try and see if it loads...

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If the Wiis can use the wireless adapter to play Gamecube games with a Gamecube that has a broadband adapter that's on the same network then I will be even *more* tempted to get myself a Wii on launch.

Student House of 5 + one Gamecube = fights for who gets to play Mariokart.
    Student House of 5 + one Gamecube, broadband adapter + Wii = awesome fun for the house + friends!

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This would be a great thing to ask IGN in their mailbag.

I'm one of the ones that has had multiple hands-on experiences with the Wii; but everyone here who has played a Wii had to do it with the actual system behind glass. None of us have been able to put a GameCube game in it.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, they promised online for Brawl at E3 05, not Melee.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Oh...I'd still like Nintendo to allow online play for some NGC titles on the Wii..it would be a good hold over until Brawl comes out, same idea for Mario Kart.

Fixed it in my first post

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It would only work for games that already had LAN support (it's called tunnelling).

It might, however, be possible to add online play in NES and SNES games though (so much extra processing power...you could have two Wii's playing the same game and constantly syncronizing each other and tricking the game into thinking there is only one game running with two controllers in).

9. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I wouldn't need any kind of tunneling, all I'd want is for the Gamecube game to see the wireless card of the Wii as a broadband adapter allowing it to play its LAN games with any other Gamecube or Wii on the same IP network range. It wouldn't be very hard for them to enable, its just a matter of if they'll bother because most people wouldn't care.
    Although who knows, maybe Nintendo are keeping a big secret from us which is that the 512MB on board memory comes loaded with some mods that add extra gameplay (specifically online multiplayer) ability to existing gamecube games such as Mariokart. That would rock!

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'll see if it boots up and lets me select a region. Beyond that, I really can't help you out, as I have no imported games.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks jdechko...

as long as freeloader works and ejects itself and asks for the other disc I assume I'll be safe :D

12. mrbrown macrumors 6502

This certainly doesn't require a lot of extra processing power. Does Catapult's XBAND ring a bell? Did the exact same thing you're suggesting with a 2400 baud modem in 1995...

13. beerad72 macrumors newbie

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yes, Gamecube games will work on the Wii with no emulation. 4 controller ports, 2 memory card ports. In fact, it's probably the number 2 or 3 feature being touted on the Wii.

1) Controller
    2/3) Virtual Console, fully compatible with Gamecube

15. beerad72 macrumors newbie

Thanks! :D

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

17. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ok, now that some people on here have got their Wiis, do any of you have MarioKart for the Gamecube? If you do then could you drop it in and on the main screen see if it says "Lan Mode" or something along those lines. That will basically tell us if the Gamecube mode can use the Wii's wireless as a broadband adapter.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

19. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

After turning the Wii on, plug in a Gamecube controller and pres "AABBBAAZAASECRETCODEBBZZ" and it should start Double Dash. :eek:

20. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I'll try it asap.

21. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

ok...

I tried them both for those wondering...

On MarioKart, I don't see anything that says "LAN mode" or the equivalent, unfortunately.

And the real letdown is that the freeloader doesn't appear to work and thats a bummer since I will want to play my irukaga!!!!

Hopefully someone will come up with a similar thing for the wii (maybe on an SD card or something).

The MarioKart thing can hopefully be done with an update if enough people talk about it.. Of course they may bethinking they just want to do that on the next version of mariokart.

If i can test anything else, let me know.

22. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

:( That's such a shame! Thanks for trying though!!

I really hope they don't wait until the next Mariokart to enable some form of multiplayer on a larger scale. All I'd want is like I said an ability to emulate the broadband adapter of the Wii. It wouldn't be hard for Nintendo to do, it would just mean piping through the IP traffic from the 'cube emulator through to the network which the wireless is connected to. I'm not asking for any form of official tunelling network or anything.
    Nintendo must realise that a lot of people who are getting the Wii currently have a Gamecube. Some of them would be willing to buy a broadband adapter and an extra copy of Mariokart:DD which would be a small amount of bonus revenue to Nintendo. Small yes but enough to warrant one of the programmers who did the Wii compatability to spend an hour or two writing a simple network bridge for it.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

a friend wrote me that only some versions of freeloader work (he said v1.06b works)

24. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I had a similar question. I have a GameCube but it's just me playing. If I got a Wii, would I have any reason to keep the GameCube?