Does anyone know how much it costs to change motherboard on 17" powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by babka, Feb 10, 2005.

1. babka macrumors newbie

I keep getting hard kernal panic message on my powerbook after trying to play a dvd on it. Its a 1ghz 512 60gig powerbook if that matters. There is defective hardware on my powerbook according to a tech. He tried many things including reinstalling MAC OS, zapping the ram, etc. He said it could be defective ram or a defective motherboard, etc. He even took it to Apple and they said the same.

It worked fine until I tried to play a dvd on it and all of a sudden it never starts up now and shows a hard kernal panic message each time. I was wondering what kind of expenses I was looking at to get this fixed...any ideas? And should I go directly to Apple or use a store that repairs powerbooks? Or should I just sell it as defective? The tech I used does not fix hardware issues. thank you.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

No Applecare I'm guessing. I guess the Mac didn't come with a hardware testing CD so you can test to see which part is defective. Logic boards are very expensive, makes it right on the boarder line of getting a new Mac would be more cost effective. I would try selling it for parts because of this high mark up that Apple does on repairs like these. Then I would buy a new one and get the 3 year Applecare so these Logic board repairs are free with it.

4. babka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. No I have no applecare. But do you know where to get or borrow that CD? My tech said it may be defective ram but he said most likely its a motherboard issue. I wonder if I could get new ram to try out from someone as well.

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Your tech should be able to put different ram in and see if thats the case. I mean, most computer techs do have lots of spare parts laying around. I know mine does.