Does anyone know why certain movies can only be bought, but not rented?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ToneMonkey, Oct 15, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Oct 5, 2007
    This has happened twice. Last weekend, I wanted to rent Zohan HD from my atv. I was only offered options to rent SD or buy HD? This is also happened with another movie my wife was interested in a few months back.

This seems especially weird because there are tons of internet threads about the opposite situation (why can't I buy HD movies, only rent).
  2. macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    different licensing agreements for different movies
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 5, 2007
    Thanks guys...

I gotta say that I generally prefer my atv to cable on-demand, but I have no interest whatsoever in paying $14.99 to rent a movie one time, which is essentially what forcing me to purchase amounts to.

Yet one more thing about iTunes store that is sub-optimal compared to other offerings (IMHO, YMMV).

For example, I pretty much use the new genius feature to idenitify music that I turn right around and buy from Amazon. iTunes store just has to offer DRM-free music (in MP3 format, please) on all content, not just a few, if they want my music $$$.

For now, I guess I'll continue to vote with my feet and pocketbook. Too bad, 'cause I want to love iTunes store.