Does anyone miss the Jaguar Finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iindigo, Aug 12, 2005.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I know I do. It made more sense to me, and felt much zippier than even Tiger's Finder. Also IMO brushed doesn't belong on the Finder.

And what exactly is the point of the sidebar? It's just like the toolbar icons except horizontally arranged. They make sense in open/save dialogs, where there is no toolbar, but I don't see the purpose of it in the Finder.

Also, if someone were to create a Finder replacement that was like the Jaguar Finder but with modern features would you use it? If so, would you pay for it?

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I don't think Tiger's Finder is any worse than Jaguar's, but I still hate the Finder. The sidebar makes sense to me. Rather than a list of favorite places or commonly visited plases (like the toolbar), it's a list of starting points. Think of it as a GUI for ~/ and /, but with more features (movies, pictures, desktop, etc).

Have you seen PathFinder? You may find it fulfills your needs better than Finder. And if you were thinking about writing this Finder replacement, I say the more power to you (although you might have some pretty tough competition). If it were better than Finder and felt intuitive, I'd pay for it.

3. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

to each his own. i know professionally the side bar is a huge help. i use it to access jobs on the server. i know the toolbar will do the same but it allows for more organization to have both not just one as is jag. options are good. if you dont like it i believe you can hide it for every new window.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I know I don't. Tiger Finder is so much better, and it's going to get even better in Leopard with Quartz 2D Extreme and Resolution Independent UI. Brushed Metal, I have my reservations, but it is okay.

As for the Finder sidebar, you can hide it if you don't like switching over to the spatial Finder. And if you want the horizontal-running icons, you can do that too. Basically, Tiger Finder is the most versatile of the whole lot.

[​IMG]

5. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I don't like Pathfinder - The GUI is overcrowded and its non-Applelike and its pretty slow.

In my Finder replacement, the drawer is a completely disable-able option - it's a drawer. Don't want it? just close it. Simple as that. Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

7. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I agree with you about PathFinder, actually. That's why I don't use it. I just thought that if you didn't know about it you probably should.

8. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

At first I didn't like the Tiger finder (compared to Jag) but I have gotten used to it. It really didn't take too long.

And stop complaining? It much better than Windows so I don't know what's not to like about it...

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm quite happy with the sidebar in place of favourites. I drag and drop all sorts of files into the sidebar and things are easily done.

Things aren't always easily done but it's much better than the Finder from Jaguar.

11. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I like the Finder, the only problem is the usual, IT'S PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE THE FINDER REMEMBER WINDOW SIZE!!!! :mad:

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm pretty happy with the Tiger finder, too. As Lacero mentioned, you can choose whether you want the sidebar, the toolbar, or a mixture of the two – so it's pretty customisable which can only be a good thing.

Brushed metal I can take or leave, but I think overall things are moving in the right direction. We'll just have to wait to see what Leopard brings...

13. unfaded macrumors 6502

No, I hated the Jaguar Finder, and I think the idea of having a drawer in the finder is a waste of space when containing it within the window, like now, saves more space than a drawer.

Drawers are ugly. Mail 2.0 is better than Mail 1.0 because of it.

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

(For background, I've been using the Jaguar Finder all day today working on a friend's computer. I switched with Panther, so I've used the Panther and Tiger Finders much much much more than Jaguar's.)

I really don't like the Jaguar Finder much. It's inflexible, and I think the sidebar is much more convenient than the toolbar. Open and save dialogs are much better in Tiger too. In Jaguar they're always in column mode, and you have to scroll back to get to the root drive (without customizing it). I really have few complaints about the Tiger Finder.

15. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well after reading everything in the thread, I'm gonna have to say the things I really want in the Finder are:

#1: some way to COMPLETELY turn off the sidebar and not leave a thick left border and that annoying dot
    #2: The ability to kill the brushed
    #3: Cocoa, not Carbon so the Finder can use all Cocoa niceties (spellcheck, dictionary, etc.)
    #4: Fully working FTP support

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Can we get a screeny of the Jaguar finder for those who have recently switched?

17. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Here you go! Please note the aqua in Jaguar was different, hence the different look to it.

[​IMG]

18. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

you can in the mean time use these key combinations when starting with the default finder window:

command>option>t to go to that all white window.
    command>option>control t to hide the side bar.

19. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Thanks, iindigo.

My first reaction is "Ew... pinstripes galore!", and from an aesthetics point of view, I prefer the Tiger Finder. But I haven't used the Jaguar finder, so who am I to pass judgement?

20. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I frequently will just use spotlight these days to get at what I need in a hurry. The problem of course being that it picks up so much freaking information from everything on my system that I usually get a few hundred results that are far from what I want.

I hate to say it, but Windows' Start bar definitely has an edge on OS X's finder when it comes to program launching. The dock is nice, but one could argue the quicklaunch bar on Windows serves much of the same purpose (for launching programs that is). I just find Finder a bit under-powered when it comes to browsing.

I think Expose and Spotlight coupled with dashboard (for things like calculator, stickes and address book) combined have taken some of the load off of Finder and and added functionality to system 10. I'm excited to see what's next.

21. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

if your searching for file names try typing what your looking for in quotes like "resume" and spotlight will stick to file names instead of metadata.

22. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

#2: Solution (Sort of. Probably not for Finder, actually. But for all Cocoa apps)